• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California Title 24 accessibility equivalent facilitation for sinks

miguele3

Bronze Member
I made my case that there are plenty of exceptions to making all of one item accessible (parking, bank tellers, toilet stalls, pay phones (remember these?)). The issue is we have two sinks in a employee break area right next to each other. The client desires one of the sinks to be a 10" sink, however the AHJ wants both to be accessible. The AHJ says I must provide documentation that shows we can use the 10" sink. Can anyone point me to a code reference, state interpretation, CALDAG notation that allows for this?

Are they seperate sinks or seperate sidesof the same sink?

CBC 1101B.l General. In determining equivalent facilitation, consideration shall be given to means that provide for the maximum independence of persons with disabilities while presenting the least risk of harm, injury or other hazard to such persons or others.

CBC 1117B.9 Accessible sinks. Each accessible sink shall be a maximum of 61/2 inches deep.

If it is the same sink with one "deeper bowl" a disabled person could drop something it the deeper bowl and be unable to retrive it.

Equivalent facilitation is primarily used for existing buildings where complience would create an unreasonable hardship

You have not shown an unreasonable hardship

I have a question on a Title 24 sink as well. I have a food prep area within a retail store. The plan reviewer is requiring that the hand washing sink in the food prep area be no more than 6 1/2 inches in depth per 1117B.9 yet the food prep sink can be as deep as the client wants. I cannot find the scoping provisions to indicate that either sink has to be accessible as 1117B.9 addresses when sinks are required to be accessible. Can someone help me out here?

Codegeek said:
I have a question on a Title 24 sink as well. I have a food prep area within a retail store. The plan reviewer is requiring that the hand washing sink in the food prep area be no more than 6 1/2 inches in depth per 1117B.9 yet the food prep sink can be as deep as the client wants. I cannot find the scoping provisions to indicate that either sink has to be accessible as 1117B.9 addresses when sinks are required to be accessible. Can someone help me out here?
Hand washing sink is for all employees

Other sinks are work stations, that need reasonable accomidations only if/when a employee needs to access.

mark handler said:
Hand washing sink is for all employeesOther sinks are work stations, that need reasonable accomidations only if/when a employee needs to access.
Can you give me the code section which requires this as I cannot find it? Thanks.

Codegeek said:
Can you give me the code section which requires this as I cannot find it? Thanks.
CBC SECTION 1102B DEFINITIONS

WORK STATION is an area defined by equipment and/or work surfaces intended for use by employees only, and generally for one or a small number of employees at a time. Examples include ticket booths; the employee side of grocery store checkstands; the bartender area behind a bar; the employee side of snack bars, sales counters and public counters; guardhouses; toll booths; kiosk vending stands; lifeguard stations; maintenance equipment closets; counter and equipment areas in restaurant kitchens; file rooms; storage areas; etc

SECTION 11238 ACCESS TO EMPLOYEE AREAS

CBC 1123B.2 Work stations. Specific work stations need only comply with aisle width (Sections 1133B.6.1 and 1133B.6.2) and floors and levels (Section 1120B), and entryways shall be 32 inches in clear width.

A food prep sink is a Specific work station....You do not wash your hands at the prep sink

Side note, not everything must have a code reference, If everything was codified the code would need to be 1,000 volumes.

Last edited by a moderator:
mark handler said:
Side note, not everything must have a code reference, If everything was codified the code would need to be 1,000 volumes.
I understand. Thanks for your help Mark.

Last edited by a moderator: