• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Called for an inspection but see something else

jar546

Forum Coordinator
How do you guys handle this?

In this case, this is what I saw when I was there for an electrical rough in the basement of this commercial building. I was there for work being performed under permit.

My choice was to point this out to the electrician and tell him that this "should" be fixed prior to me coming back for the final since now that I see a safety hazard, I am assuming some liability. He quickly agreed and turned it into an "extra" on his electrical contract.

IMAG0023.jpg

2006 IFC 605.1 Abatement of electrical hazards.

Identified electrical hazards shall be abated. Identified hazardous electrical conditions in permanent wiring shall be brought to the attention of the code official responsible for enforcement of the ICC Electrical Code. (that would be you correct?) Electrical wiring, devices, appliances and other equipment that is modified or damaged and constitutes an electrical shock or fire hazard shall not be used.

mtlogcabin said:
2006 IFC 605.1 Abatement of electrical hazards.Identified electrical hazards shall be abated. Identified hazardous electrical conditions in permanent wiring shall be brought to the attention of the code official responsible for enforcement of the ICC Electrical Code. (that would be you correct?) Electrical wiring, devices, appliances and other equipment that is modified or damaged and constitutes an electrical shock or fire hazard shall not be used.
The IFC would not apply in this situation as it is not adopted in whole in PA except where referred to by the IBC. It would be nice to have that to back us up though.

How about these then? Are they adopted?

Property Maintenance Code 604.3 Electrical system hazards.

Where it is found that the electrical system in a structure constitutes a hazard to the occupants or the structure by reason of inadequate service, improper fusing, insufficient receptacle and lighting outlets, improper wiring or installation, deterioration or damage, or for similar reasons, the code official shall require the defects to be corrected to eliminate the hazard.

IBC [F] K1201.2 Abatement of electrical hazards.

All identified electrical hazards shall be abated. All identified hazardous electrical conditions in permanent wiring shall be brought to the attention of the code official responsible for enforcement of this code. Electrical wiring, devices, appliances and other equipment which is modified or damaged and constitutes an electrical shock or fire hazard shall not be used.