• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can a HVAC be located in garage to feed house only?

Sifu

Sawhorse
Follow up. I am torn on this and have never really settled it it my head. If a direct vent system is in a garage and all of the ducts supply the house in a code complaint fashion with 26g duct, without openings from the supply or return system in the garage we are good. BUT, cut a new duct into the supply plenum, that only feeds the garage. Are we still good? Now, enclose the whole system behind a partition and non-rated door. How 'bout now? What if the partition had a 20-min. door?

My thoughts are that any opening in the system from the garage breaches the system and would allow smoke and gases to circulate throughout the house. And, if it was behind a 20-min door and gyp wall to me it would no longer be in the garage, being provided with the same separation as the rest of the house. But the non-rated door, gives me heartburn. The gas codes say that for purposes of combustion air the rooms that are not part of the living space are considered in the garage. No such language for duct openings.

mtlogcabin

Sawhorse
603.7 Rigid duct penetrations.
Duct system penetrations of walls, floors, ceilings and roofs and air transfer openings in such building components shall be protected as required by Section 607. Ducts in a private garage that penetrate a wall or ceiling that separates a dwelling from a private garage shall be continuous, shall be constructed of sheet steel having a thickness of not less than 0.0187 inch (0.4712 mm) (No. 26 gage) and shall not have openings into the garage. Fire and smoke dampers are not required in such ducts passing through the wall or ceiling separating a dwelling from a private garage except where required by Chapter 7 of the International Building Code.

Sifu

Sawhorse
Yes, but what is considered when determining "in the garage"? Its pretty clear that anything behind the 1/2" gyp wall and 20-min door is not "in the garage". My question is when it is in a closet in the garage, and that closet does not have the same level of separation as the house.

klarenbeek

Silver Member
The intent is to maintain the separation between the dwelling and the garage, so everything on the garage side of that separation wall would have to be minimum 26 gage with no openings. A closet walled off on the garage side of the separation wall is still in the garage, so no openings.