• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can a S1 be on the first floor of a two story building.

Doug

Can a S1 be on the first floor of a two story building? B is on the second floor. Type VB. No sprinkler system. 2009 IBC Look at section 503. Reference the 1997 UBC section 302 last paragraph. I can’t find it in the 09 IBC. I think it can but need a reference from the 09 IBC. BTW. Both occupancies have grade level exits.

Welcome

How did you find us??

What state are you in

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wait might be tomorrow till you get an answer unless a West coaster is still working

I think it was from an old code forum that shut down. As you can see I’ve been members since 2011 but haven’t participate in any discussions and don’t really have much time for viewing.

Yes refer to:

508.4 Separated occupancies. Buildings or portions of buildings that comply with the provisions of this section shall be considered as separated occupancies.

TABLE 508.4 REQUIRED SEPARATION OF OCCUPANCIES

There are also limits as to sq, ft.

Table 503 says 1 story above grade plane for VB S1....Nonsprinklered....Problem would be if there is no seperation, second story would be considered S1 as well...Unless it is not a story above grade plane as defined in the code....