• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can an accessible unit count as a type A unit?

yvette

I have an apartment project that has 2 buildings, each are 4 stories. There are 16 units in the entire project. According to chapter 11 i need to have at least one unit be a type A unit and at least one unit be an accessible unit. My question is can the accessible unit count as a type A unit or do i have to have one of each? Thanks for any help.

What code are you using?

Per 2021 IBC 1108.6.2.2.1, Type A units are only required where there is more than 20-units. Accessible units are not required at all. The balance of all other units have to be Type B units, but that can be heavily reduced via 1108.7.

2021 IBC

1108.6.2.2 Apartment Houses, Monasteries and Convents

Type A units and Type B units shall be provided in apartment houses, monasteries and convents in accordance with Sections 1108.6.2.2.1 and 1108.6.2.2.2. Bedrooms in monasteries and convents shall be counted as units for the purpose of determining the number of units. Where the bedrooms are grouped in sleeping units, only one bedroom in each sleeping unit shall count toward the number of required Type A units.

1108.6.2.2.1 Type A Units

In Group R-2 occupancies containing more than 20 dwelling units or sleeping units, at least 2 percent but not less than one of the units shall be a Type A unit. All Group R-2 units on a site shall be considered to determine the total number of units and the required number of Type A units. Type A units shall be dispersed among the various classes of units.
Exceptions:
  1. The number of Type A units is permitted to be reduced in accordance with Section 1108.7.
  2. Existing structures on a site shall not contribute to the total number of units on a site.

1108.6.2.2.2 Type B Units

Where there are four or more dwelling units or sleeping units intended to be occupied as a residence in a single structure, every dwelling unit and sleeping unit intended to be occupied as a residence shall be a Type B unit.
Exception: The number of Type B units is permitted to be reduced in accordance with Section 1108.7.

What code are you using?

Per 2021 IBC 1108.6.2.2.1, Type A units are only required where there is more than 20-units. Accessible units are not required at all. The balance of all other units have to be Type B units, but that can be heavily reduced via 1108.7.

2021 IBC

Type A units and Type B units shall be provided in apartment houses, monasteries and convents in accordance with Sections 1108.6.2.2.1 and 1108.6.2.2.2. Bedrooms in monasteries and convents shall be counted as units for the purpose of determining the number of units. Where the bedrooms are grouped in sleeping units, only one bedroom in each sleeping unit shall count toward the number of required Type A units.

In Group R-2 occupancies containing more than 20 dwelling units or sleeping units, at least 2 percent but not less than one of the units shall be a Type A unit. All Group R-2 units on a site shall be considered to determine the total number of units and the required number of Type A units. Type A units shall be dispersed among the various classes of units.
Exceptions:
  1. The number of Type A units is permitted to be reduced in accordance with Section 1108.7.
  2. Existing structures on a site shall not contribute to the total number of units on a site.

Where there are four or more dwelling units or sleeping units intended to be occupied as a residence in a single structure, every dwelling unit and sleeping unit intended to be occupied as a residence shall be a Type B unit.
Exception: The number of Type B units is permitted to be reduced in accordance with Section 1108.7.
Thank you, classicT. I'm using the 2022 Oregon Structural Specialty Code based on the 2021 IBC. That really helps me a lot. This section confuses me because it seems like there should be accessible units in every apartment building, but clearly that is not the case. But they WILL need an elevator? Thank you for your help!

I do not see any substantial difference in the Oregon code. Looks as if you may avoid both Accessible and Type A units. Type B, as served by the elevator you have indicated, will be required.

2022 OSSC

Exceptions: