• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can an exit be an emergency escape opening?

Sifu said:
From the IRC commentary (2006) "The requirement for emergency escape and rescue openings in sleeping rooms exists because a fire will usually have spread before the occupants are aware of the problem, and the normal exit channels may be blocked. The requirement for basements exists because they are so often used as sleeping rooms. For example, a fire in a mechanical room adjacent to a stair could engulf the only means of egress for the basement without the egress window or door."So a one exit space bothers me too but I am still up in the air as to whether it is compliant. By the above text the intent is to provide two openings in case the primary is obstructed. On the other hand I used to build houses with bonus rooms over the garage and the inspectors would want an EERO. I always argued the point that it wasn't required. The basement with an opening directly to the outside is arguably more safe than the bonus room where the only exit was through the house. And, I have no issues with the door meeting the requirements of an EERO, rather I am questioning whether it is permitted to be the ONLY opening. Still seems to be two requirements, one for exits in 311 and one for EERO's in 310.
if it is one basicly one room and there is a code complaint exit directly to the outside, that is all that is needed.

Maybe this is a little more clear, IBC 1029.1 #6 specifically says in R occupancies a basement with an exit to the exterior does not require an additional EERO. So if using the IBC it looks pretty clear.

My bonus rooms had closets but what defines a space is typically the plans, not what someone might use it for. I know some AHJ's don't see it that way but that is how I do it. I think that is why the code specifically calls out a basement as requiring an EERO, because they are making a specific prediction for a specific place that someone will end up sleeping there so they require extra protection to mitigate the "predicted" use.

Well, just found out my AHJ has amended the code for basement sleeping rooms to say that if it has a closet then it is a bedroom, amazing what I learn by happenstance. Also getting ready to adopt the 15 code and found that they have changed the requirement for basement finish permits to not require an EEO if a sleeping room is not added. Took me a few times reading it but apparently the only time an EEO is required is for an "addition", not for remodel??? You all read that the same way?

R310.5 Where dwelling additions occur that contain sleeping rooms, an emergency escape and rescue opening shall be provided in each new sleeping room. Where dwelling additions occur that have basements, an emergency escape and rescue opening shall be provided in the new basement.

I read it when you

"Create a sleeping room"

Yes I guess you could read it, if you remodel a basement nothing needed.

But is that what they meant???

I think so........

R310.6 An emergency escape and rescue opening is not required where existing basements undergo alterations or repairs.

Exception: New sleeping rooms created in an existing basement shall be provided with emergency escape and rescue openings in accordance with Section R310.1.

So unless you create a sleeping room, by whatever criteria a jurisdiction uses, a basement finish does not require the inclusion of an EEO.

& ~ ~ ~

Sifu,

Suppose a closet is installed in that finished basement area ?

Would you consider that a [ very likely ] sleeping room ?

Does the inclusion of a closet in a room \ space lend creedence

towards that room \space being used for sleeping ?........Also,

if a closet IS installed, must the closet have doors to be

considered a closet ?

~ ~ ~ &

My "opinion" is that generally a room is identified by the designer. If the construction documents, whether by a licensed architect or by Joe homeowner indicate a room as a study as opposed to a bedroom then that person is now responsible for all associated requirements and the unintended consequences of not adhering to them. But as I mentioned, my current AHJ has a written

amendment defining a sleeping room differently, if it has a closet then it is a sleeping room. It does not get so far into the weeds as to define the closet or address the doors. (And I don't have any issue with that). I think the code may be deliberately ambiguous on this. So to answer the question: if it were up to me- if the plans call it a study it is not a sleeping room whether it has a closet or not or whether it might be used a sleeping room or not. I don't want to enforce behavior. But it is not up to me. BTW, I know this is not a fair example but I just looked across my kitchen and it has a closet.

Yeah, I have a 6X10 airlock foyer with a clothes closet for my front entry...........guess that makes it a sleeping room.

fatboy, 6' x 10' is not wide enough to qualify as a sleeping room... 7' minimum in each horizontal direction. LOL