• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can door overlap turning space more than 12" in single-user restroom?

Yikes

Gold Member
CBC 11B-603.2.3 exception #2 contains a DSA advisory saying that a water closet compartment may have its door swing over a room turning space without limitation.
But what if it's a single-user restroom, with no compartments? Can the main door to the restroom swing into the turning circle or T-turn, as long as I have 30"x48" space beyond the door arc?

1712082161036.png

Last edited:
Since this section uses the words "compartments" and "room" as different conditions (see exception 2), the advisory seems to not apply to single-user restrooms (or just the last sentence of it applies since it says "other doors").

The way I see it, no, the door can only swing over the turning space by 12" in a single-user accessible toilet room. Exception 2 only applies to the clear floor spaces for the fixtures, not the turning space.

Since this section uses the words "compartments" and "room" as different conditions (see exception 2), the advisory seems to not apply to single-user restrooms (or just the last sentence of it applies since it says "other doors").

The way I see it, no, the door can only swing over the turning space by 12" in a single-user accessible toilet room. Exception 2 only applies to the clear floor spaces for the fixtures, not the turning space.

Doesn't Exception #2 directly answer your question?