• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can I receive a customer into my home/home office?

CharlesG

Apologies if this is a bit ambiguous but am attempting to satisfy an inquiry from a Colorado County Inspector.

In short, prior owner of my property incorrectly labeled a bedroom as an ‘office’ in a hand drawing to the county. This document and the county response was withheld from me by prior owner.

County has now informed me that the prior owners never responded to the county who had advised them that because there is a change of use of bedroom to an ‘office’ they must apply for a permit under the IBC requirements (sprinklers, firewalls, etc). Mixed-use.

I intend to advise the official that the ‘office’ is actually a home office which it most certainly is. This should diffuse the commercial use situation.

My concern however, is that in that home office I manage my businesses which includes an offsite STR. And when I rent my offsite STR to customers, I will frequently have them stop at my home to pickup the key and paperwork.

When customers come by and want to get out of the weather, I allow them into the entryway by the home office to receive the key and paperwork. The entryway space is limited and a barrier exists sequestering customers to only about 6’ from the door. Thus my guest cannot get beyond the entryway.

Is this an allowable activity under the IRC? Does this activity still trigger IBC requirements?

I realize this is not a typical post here, but appreciate the guidance and feedback.

I agree, some people have too much time on their hands. Should be a legit use under Residential Code. If they try to make you go with Building Code then use the live/work provisions in 419 or 508.5, depending on what cycle you're in.

I would tell them it is a home office and you keep your desktop computer, desk, and file cabinet in there, thus it is an office. Do not volunteer any information about other activities you are doing there.

Running a business out of a single family residence is often a zoning question rather than building code. The zoning ordinances that get written prohibiting running a business out of your house is intended to keep people from putting up advertising signs, storing large materials and equipment in their yard and having a bunch of employees or customers taking up all the parking in the neighborhood. The zoning ordinance may or may not have reasonable exceptions. It is much better for everyone (including the city inspectors) if the city is not officially aware that you do a little work out of your office because it may technically be a violation of the zoning ordinance, even if it does not cause any problems.

You didn't state which county or city in Colorado. Who has the applicable jurisdiction? they may have already issued a specific interpretation.
Although building codes and zoning codes are different, some zoning codes will state that home offices are considered a type of residential use.

As a side note:
If your business REQUIRES the public to enter your home office to complete the transaction (as opposed to meeting them out in the public street, even during rainy weather), your place of business is subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act. do your best to avoid this can of worms.

"You didn't state which county or city in Colorado. Who has the applicable jurisdiction? they may have already issued a specific interpretation."

I could make an educated guess which county it is, but I won't, in keeping with the OP.

Tell them to pound sand.