• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Raymond Lino Belli

Suppose I have an existing F1 room, can I use it to make low alcohol beverages (F2)?
My issue is I am adjacent to an H2, and I do not want to modify my 2-hour rated barrier to be 3 hours.
Thank you,

Probably really have to dig into the IEBC on that one....You would be better protecting the F2 from the existing H2.....But technically it would be a change to a lower hazard which you might get a pass on...

Reactions: JBI
Probably really have to dig into the IEBC on that one....You would be better protecting the F2 from the existing H2.....But technically it would be a change to a lower hazard which you might get a pass on...

I guess another way to ask the question would be can I make beverages in a food production facility (F1)?
It would seem "food production" would cover all food products including ones you drink.

F-1

• Beverages: over 16-percent alcohol content

F-2
    • Beverages: up to and including 16-percent alcohol content
So what is your beverage of choice ????

What beverage type do they want to make??

Not sure if you fall under mixed use??
Non seperated

There are some smarter that can answer the question

Welcome also

F-1

• Beverages: over 16-percent alcohol content

F-2
    • Beverages: up to and including 16-percent alcohol content
So what is your beverage of choice ????

What beverage type do they want to make??

Beer I think, although they make chocolates and other food products in other rooms, it is an existing building so they are trying to make existing rooms work, would probably be preferable if they had one large room.

An interesting question would be a bicycle factory would be classified as an F1, but metal fabrication is an F2, does that mean you would need to separate the metal fabrication into a separate room from where you make bicycles?

I take it the building is sprinkled

508.2 appears only needs two hour??

Where are you getting three ??

Which year ibc are you designing to???

Yes, the building is sprinkled, if I am required to classify as an F2 then 3 hours are required, H2 vs F2, CBC 2016.
The 2-hour rated fire barrier already exists.
The H2 is for an extraction process using Propane. Other than the small amount of H2 (342sf) the rest of the building (13,613sf) is F1 or S1.
The room where beverages are to be made is 814sf.

If I were to group the F1, F2, S1 & B occupancies into a non-separated occupancy group and then only had to provide the separation at the H2 occupancies, would the non-separated group be considered a low or moderate hazard, and therefore dictate the 2 or 3-hour fire barrier requirement?

Yes, the building is sprinkled, if I am required to classify as an F2 then 3 hours are required, H2 vs F2, CBC 2016.
The 2-hour rated fire barrier already exists.
The H2 is for an extraction process using Propane. Other than the small amount of H2 (342sf) the rest of the building (13,613sf) is F1 or S1.
The room where beverages are to be made is 814sf.

Humm have to look at the book again,,,

Maybe a Calif dreaming thing

Ok I guess I was trying to push you to F-1/ H-2

Yes F-2 is three hour

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/chapter/10411/

So someone needs to decide if the beverage making falls under F-1::

F-1 Beverages: over 16-percent alcohol content

F-2 Beverages: up to and including 16-percent alcohol content

What happens to the building if you call it a F-1?????

What is the wall construction for the fire barrier separating the current Group F-2 from the Group H-2?

Ok I guess I was trying to push you to F-1/ H-2

Yes F-2 is three hour

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/chapter/10411/

So someone needs to decide if the beverage making falls under F-1::

F-1 Beverages: over 16-percent alcohol content

F-2 Beverages: up to and including 16-percent alcohol content

What happens to the building if you call it a F-1?????

The building is mostly F1, the beverage is less than 16% alcohol