• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can someone help me out!?

Nbrennan714

Can someone help me out as much as I think this is a dumb question. I am interested in becoming a commercial building inspector, I’ve worked in construction for the las ten years, have a good grasp and understanding of most construction systems have read the international building code book and the concrete manual. But I was just wondering if I only need to pass the B-2 exam and then I can apply for a commercial inspectors job or is there more licenses/Certifications I need to pass before job searching? If someone with a little more knowledge can let some light it I’d most appreciate it. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!

Others will chime in, but after you knock out the Commercial Building Inspector's exam, go for the Residential Building Inspector, it would definitely add to your resume when going into job hunting process.

Sell yourself in the interview, with no inspecting experience, the next thing that I would be looking for, is a personality.

Inspecting can be trained to some extent, personalities cannot!

Good luck, keep us posted. ;)

Check various city hr web sites

Put in job interest cards, so you know when there is an opening

If you see any current openings,,,, look at the minimum qualifications required,,,

That is what you will need to get.

See if you can find a city that will let you ride out with thier Inspectors
You will get a real idea of what the job is like.

You will see how the inspectors interact

Plus you can ask questions

Some AHJ's will also give you some time to get certs. & on their dime. Best to get both Res. & Comm. since most AHJ's only have 1 or 2 inspectors and need you to inspect both.

Some AHJ's will also give you some time to get certs. & on their dime. Best to get both Res. & Comm. since most AHJ's only have 1 or 2 inspectors and need you to inspect both.

Lots of good advice above but as an entry level guy, I'd be looking at jobs that will let you do this ^^^^. Certs are expensive - so is studying for them.

Have a current copy of state code?
Take ICC cert exams at a minimum.
Reading code is one thing, applying it in the field is a "different" animal.

We need motivated inspectors, go for it.

I advise residential building, depending on where exactly you are and what is the predominate construction activity, it will allow for the most bang for the buck from a departmental point of view. (with the exception for where I am, which is 90% commercial, many locales have a lot more residential) As others have said, most departments will entertain an entry level inspector without certs as long as you can obtain them relatively quickly. This also presents a good opportunity to learn on the job instead of trying to figure out some of the stuff from just the printed page, all while they pay for it.
BTW, I am sure most can attest, the industry is suffering from a lack of interest, so like Fatboy said, your attitude and personality...........and a pulse in our area, will go a long way.

So how would I get into to something like that?

I advise residential building, depending on where exactly you are and what is the predominate construction activity, it will allow for the most bang for the buck from a departmental point of view. (with the exception for where I am, which is 90% commercial, many locales have a lot more residential) As others have said, most departments will entertain an entry level inspector without certs as long as you can obtain them relatively quickly. This also presents a good opportunity to learn on the job instead of trying to figure out some of the stuff from just the printed page, all while they pay for it.
BTW, I am sure most can attest, the industry is suffering from a lack of interest, so like Fatboy said, your attitude and personality...........and a pulse in our area, will go a long way.
Can you make more money in residential inspections? I though commercial inspectors were painfully more?

Can you make more money in residential inspections? I though commercial inspectors were painfully more?
That might depend on the needs of the department. Just like anyplace, the pay is (should) be based on what you can bring to the table. Some places have inspector grades, typically based on the disciplines you can inspect. There are basically 5 major disciplines: building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and fire, each of them at different levels depending on whether it is commercial or residential. Inspector 1 might be 1 of those disciplines, inspector 2 might be 2 of them, and so on. But, if the need is greater or a premium is placed on a particular trade, I am sure a department may lean a little higher. In my state, electrical inspectors must be a currently licensed electrician, which narrows the supply and increases the demand. Some jurisdictions do the same for plumbers, so it just depends on where you are. Reach out to the CBO where you are. He should want to help you out with guidance, some will even allow ride-alongs.
NY may have different requirements since they have there own state code. But my guess is they are similar, and that attitude, desire and initiative would play a big part. And remember, I advised starting with residential certs, but the number of and type of certs is almost endless. Even if you get 'em all, they will just invent more. This forum is a good place to start too. When I decided to come out here it was somebody on this forum that offered me guidance.

You have not responded to specific questions:
1. Have you joined ICC?
2. Taken any classes?
3. Reviewed the certifications available?
4. You put in the time and take your chances
5. Find a small upstate city and start there.

Well if it's about the money, probably sure look at a different profession.:D.

For me I applied in a small AHJ to get in the door. For family & body reason needed to hang up my tools. The AHJ and State here give you up to 12 months to get you certs. Mostly because there really aren't any inspectors just hanging out looking for work. Most come straight from the trades but very few want to make a move that pays less than wearing your tools. Each AHJ & States are different do your research.

I always say, you need to take the pay issue in it's entirety. When looking at annual salary, keep in mind, that is week in and week out, you get paid. No more waiting for the next job to start, or the company folding, or a multitude of other issues that effect your pay working in the trades.

I just posted a job for $52K a year. That's what it be next year (or more), and the years after. And, yes it is entry level. If I could get a 3-4 year apprentice, or a journeyman plumber, right out of the trades, and they had a personality, and appeared smart enough to learn, they are in. I am fine training someone in the nuances of being an inspector.

Salary comes in many forms, not all of it spendable. There is satisfaction in a job well done, your increasing value based on acquired experience and the network you develop as you visit jobsites. Inspectors must be excellent communicators (some are and some aren't), you must be patient and inquisitive, above all you must love to listen and learn.

Being a "good" inspector doesn't happen overnight, how long did it take you to learn your trade?
By the way, what is your trade?

That might depend on the needs of the department. Just like anyplace, the pay is (should) be based on what you can bring to the table. Some places have inspector grades, typically based on the disciplines you can inspect. There are basically 5 major disciplines: building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and fire, each of them at different levels depending on whether it is commercial or residential. Inspector 1 might be 1 of those disciplines, inspector 2 might be 2 of them, and so on. But, if the need is greater or a premium is placed on a particular trade, I am sure a department may lean a little higher. In my state, electrical inspectors must be a currently licensed electrician, which narrows the supply and increases the demand. Some jurisdictions do the same for plumbers, so it just depends on where you are. Reach out to the CBO where you are. He should want to help you out with guidance, some will even allow ride-alongs.
NY may have different requirements since they have there own state code. But my guess is they are similar, and that attitude, desire and initiative would play a big part. And remember, I advised starting with residential certs, but the number of and type of certs is almost endless. Even if you get 'em all, they will just invent more. This forum is a good place to start too. When I decided to come out here it was somebody on this forum that offered me guidance.
Okay thanks for all the input extremely helpful I was just curious what a CBO IS...city building official? And also what is the ahj and how do I get in contact with them do they have a site?

You have not responded to specific questions:
1. Have you joined ICC?
2. Taken any classes?
3. Reviewed the certifications available?
4. You put in the time and take your chances
5. Find a small upstate city and start there.
Yes I am part of the ICC, I haven’t taken any classes; are they required or just preferred for your own personal gain? I have read the manuals and have taken practice tests. I think I’m ready for the test. And I have found and reviewed the exam I need. Thanks for the help!

Well if it's about the money, probably sure look at a different profession.:D.

For me I applied in a small AHJ to get in the door. For family & body reason needed to hang up my tools. The AHJ and State here give you up to 12 months to get you certs. Mostly because there really aren't any inspectors just hanging out looking for work. Most come straight from the trades but very few want to make a move that pays less than wearing your tools. Each AHJ & States are different do your research.
Can I apply to an ahj without having my cert?

Salary comes in many forms, not all of it spendable. There is satisfaction in a job well done, your increasing value based on acquired experience and the network you develop as you visit jobsites. Inspectors must be excellent communicators (some are and some aren't), you must be patient and inquisitive, above all you must love to listen and learn.

Being a "good" inspector doesn't happen overnight, how long did it take you to learn your trade?
By the way, what is your trade?
I’ve been through many trades but I took them more serious than your average young adult I was a book worm I read and learned whenever I could abou the current work I was doing. I’ve done plumbing, heating and cooling, roofing, demolition, welding and fabrication, carpentry, driving heavy machinery, and masonary and concrete work.