• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can untreated wood studs replace metal studs in a non-load-bearing interior partition of a Type I or II building?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Detailed Inquiry: Is it possible to use untreated wood studs instead of metal studs in a non-load-bearing internal partition within Type I or II construction?

Supporting Information: This response pertains to the 2024 International Building Code (IBC).

Answer:
According to Section 602.2 of the 2021 IBC, for Type I or II construction buildings, elements such as walls, partitions, structural components, floors, ceilings, roofs, and exits must be made from non-combustible materials. Fire-retardant-treated wood is allowed in non-load-bearing partitions as specified under Item 1.1 of Section 603.1. However, untreated wood studs are not allowed in such applications.

Not in the IBC - The older SBCCI codes had an allowance that non load bearing partitions/walls could be constructed of wood as long as they were covered by Gypsum in Type IV Construction. (SBCCI Non-Combustible classification that equates to Type II B Construction in the IBC)- Yes I am that Old:)

2021 IBC section 603.1, item 11. "Partitions dividing portions of stores, offices or similar places occupied by one tenant only and that do not establish a corridor serving an occupant load of 30 or more shall be permitted to be constructed of fire-retardant-treated wood, 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction or of wood panels or similar light construction up to 6 feet (1829 mm) in height."

This would allow partitions up to 6 ft. high to be untreated wood studs with 5/8" type X drywall or other approved 1-hour rated construction.