• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can we indulge me one more time on the # of exits per story?

Re: Can we indulge me one more time on the # of exits per story?

brudgers:

I'm not saying it isn't an exit, I'm saying you can't use the code provision Kilitact referred to for one exit from the 4th story. To use that, you have to have an "exterior exit that discharge directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge." In other words, when you go out the exterior exit door, you basically have to be at grade.

There were a raft of (I'm not sure of the number in a raft, but, there were many) proposed code changes to this section. This change, exception #5, was proposed with good intentions, but, worded and adopted without the good part (IMO).

The intent of the proposer was to allow a single exit from spaces permitted to have one exit per 1015.1 on upper floors within a multistory building to exit at higher grade levels independently of the building exits. Basically, addressing buildings on a hillside. The intent, also, was not to include basements. The proposer and the final draft as amended used the words "Within a story, rooms and spaces complying with Section 1015.1 with exits that discharge directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge, are permitted to have one exit." (Despite, objections).

A basement can be a story and a space, and exits are exits. While I agree with myself and others that a story requires 2 or more exits, however, as 2009 is written, a space within any story can have a single exit. And, if the rooms and/or space comprises the entire story ... (add your interpretation here).

Or,

For example, an eight story, 9,000 sf per floor building with each floor divided in half comprised of 4,500 sf, B use, 45 occupants, less than 75' cpot in each half. One exit stair for each half. Each story has 2 exits, each space has access to one of them. Does it make sense? Is this what was intended?

Apologies to Code Neo, didn't mean to hijack his thread.

Dang, Ohio State lost, but, I'm still happy my daughter's alma mater, Tennessee won.

This code section is clearing up a section that should have been rewritten cycles ago. The point at which you enter the exit is not nor is it required to be at the level of exit discharge. The exit discharge is required to be directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge, this doesn’t allow any of the exceptions from section 1027 to be applied.

Section 1021 #5; within a story, rooms and spaces complying with Section 1015.1 with exits that discharge directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge, are permitted to have one exit

Definitions;

Exit discharge level of;

The story at the point at which an exit terminates and an exit discharge begins

Exit discharge:

That portion of a means of egress system between the termination of an exit and a public way

No apologies necessary, Plans Approver. I think I have my answer, and this is a very thorough examination of the issues - I think it extremely beneficial!

Hi High,

It sounds like a story to me... not a mezzanine.

Two exits required.. maybe one dedicated stairway directly to the exterior.. Once you have hit an exit, you need do be protected all the way to the exterior.

from the op;

In my earlier post, I said that the stair shaft re-entered the building on the main level; after reviewing this, I see that it opens into a protected vestibule, which discharges to the exterior.
If the level of protection isn’t reduced until arrival at the exit discharge, this would work since the exit(s) discharge directly to the exterior.