• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can you dig a foundation hole before the building permit has been issued?

TheCommish

2915 IBC/IRC whit MA amendments

Constructing a new home requires a building permit, does the permit have to be in place before the digging started for the cellar hole?

Around here you can dig and do hardscape and landscape on your property all you want, no zoning or building permits required. I can imagine it's different in some places (probably including ones in California.)

Same here, nothing prohibiting digging a hole until you get to 3000 cubit feet or something like that. At their own risk though, it'd be a bummer do do all that work and find out you have to move it over a couple feet.

Here you can dig a hole...most certainly that will generate attention...code enforcement will show up...if told that the hole is for a basement, code enforcement will enforce the code and request a permit and depending on the situation, a fence.

Last edited:
Public Works will require a $10.00 storm water permit prior to excavating. Building you need to pull the permit prior to your 1st inspection

FDEP approval if east of the CCCL.
Local ordinances control construction sites so here you would not be allowed to dig a hole before a permit is in place.

MA Building code:
J103.1 Permits Required
Except as exempted in Section J103.2, no grading shall be performed without first having obtained a permit therefor from the building official. A grading permit does not include the construction of retaining walls or other structures.

J103.2 Exemptions
A grading permit shall not be required for the following:
1. Grading in an isolated, self-contained area, provided there is no danger to the public and that such grading will not adversely affect adjoining properties.
2. Excavation for construction of a structure permitted under this code.
3. ...............

Last edited:
But is that "permitted" as in the structure would be allowed, or "permitted" as in you have a permit in hand?

Cheers, Wayne
I'm not sure the differentiation matters in this case, but I would suspect it refers to the issuance of a permit.

Permitted (controlled by permit) construction being a subset of the group or permitted (allowed) construction, if a building permit is required, we already know the code allows the construction.

Better check your grading ordinances, here if you excavate a property more than a foot of soil per year, you'll neeed a grading permit, only issued one permit for this, and the property owner was trying to level up a lot for sale. Also silt fence may be required and may need a soil engineers report on a big tract, it kinda depends on what your up too. When a house project is presented for review, grading would be included with the project with no addition permitting.

Now if and when you find bones, I'll be on vacation!

MA Building code:
J103.1 Permits Required
Except as exempted in Section J103.2, no grading shall be performed without first having obtained a permit therefor from the building official. A grading permit does not include the construction of retaining walls or other structures.

J103.2 Exemptions
A grading permit shall not be required for the following:
1. Grading in an isolated, self-contained area, provided there is no danger to the public and that such grading will not adversely affect adjoining properties.
2. Excavation for construction of a structure permitted under this code.
3. ...............
Mark,

Asking from home, J103, appendix J that I know of is for renovations to existing 1 & 2 family, where did you get this?

Mark,

Interesting, MA adopts the IBC and appendix J, the IRC, where there is no appendix J there is appendix AJ which is is existing buildings and structures, I will have to ponder if IBC J carries over to IRC