• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can you help with interpretation of 3006.2?

nealderidder

Sawhorse
I see that CA has added some language to 3006.3 that is confusing me. Can anyone interpret for me?

The vanilla IBC says:

Elevator hoistway door openings shall be protected in accordance with Section 3006.3 where an elevator hoistway connects more than three stories, is required to be enclosed within a shaft enclosure in accordance with Section 712.1.1 and any of the following conditions apply:

Makes sense, no problems there.

The full CBC section is attached and I'll summarize the puzzling part here:

...Hoistway opening protection is required to be enclosed within a shaft enclosure in accordance with Section 712.1.1 and any of the following conditions apply:

How does one enclose opening protection within a shaft enclosure? This makes my head hurt.

Neal

Attachments

• 3006.2.jpg
    3006.2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
One of the conditions that must apply for hoistway opening protection to be required is that the elevator hoistway is required to be enclosed within a shaft enclosure in accordance with Section 712.1.1. I’m getting that from comparing it to 2018 IBC 3006.2.

My biggest question is how that "and" fits in. My understanding is that the hoistway must be protected if all three things take place:
1. The elevator connects more than 3 stories;
2. The elevator must be within a shaft enclosure; and
3. one of the five below apply:
3.1. Unsprinklered building;
3.2. I-1 Cond 2 occupancy;
3.3. I-2 occupancy;
3.4. I-3 occupancy; or
3.5. high-rise where the elevator shaft is at least 75' tall