• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cane detectable

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Both ANSI and IBC require spaces under stairs to be cane detectable. 27" is the maximum height for the barrier in both codes. No minimum is listed, but shirley a 2", or 8" curb or rail as a barrier might not be cane detectable. So what would a minimum be? I will look for some standards for cane use by the sight impaired but I wanted to see if I am missing something in the code.

From the Access Board:

"Recommendation: A minimum height is not specified for barriers demarcating areas with less than 80” of vertical clearance. It is recommended that barriers be high enough so that they are not mistaken for a step or other change in level and do not pose a tripping hazard."

Reactions: JBI
2" min for a continuous curb or 4" max if a continuous rail so that a 4" ball may not pass beneath it.

The recommendation from the access board is the same language as the commentaries.