• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Canopy Sprinkled

TJ_Laccetti

I have a 200,000 SF Tilt-up Concrete Industrial building that is full-sprinkled. The building is unlimited area with 60' clear on all sides. The exterior walls are 8" concrete. If the owner wants to add a 5,000 SF canopy to the exterior, would it have to be sprinkled too? If so, what distance away from the building would it have to be to avoid sprinklers? This facility is under the 2018 IFC. Thanks!

In order to avoid both sprinklers and rated exterior walls, I'd go 70-ft. 60-ft for the unlimited area plus another 10-ft for FSD from an imaginary lot line at the boundary of the 60-ft yard.

NFPA 13 2019 sprinkler throughout the premises 91.1 (1), sprinkler may be omitted where specifical allowed by this standard 9.1.1 (4). exceptions listed in 9.2.1.19.

9.2.3 exterior projections 9.2.3.5 sprinklers shall be installed under all exterior projections greater than 2 feet where combustible material are stored

Last edited:
But we don't need a FSD line
Why not? If the canopy is a separate structure, an imaginary lot line would be used for FSD. The unlimited area building needs 60-ft and the canopy would need 10-ft minimum from that line to avoid a fire rated exterior wall.

Why not? If the canopy is a separate structure, an imaginary lot line would be used for FSD. The unlimited area building needs 60-ft and the canopy would need 10-ft minimum from that line to avoid a fire rated exterior wall.
Maybe i spoke to hastily...the imaginary lot line is not really germane to the 60' measurement...You could draw it at 30' and likely not incur any code issues to contend with..

507.2 is clear that the 60' is measured to the face of the building with no setback...

Yards shall be measured from the building perimeter in all directions to the closest interior lot lines or to the exterior face of an opposing building

Maybe i spoke to hastily...the imaginary lot line is not really germane to the 60' measurement...You could draw it at 30' and likely not incur any code issues to contend with..

507.2 is clear that the 60' is measured to the face of the building with no setback...

Yards shall be measured from the building perimeter in all directions to the closest interior lot lines or to the exterior face of an opposing building
Ahh, I see your point.

[BG] AREA, BUILDING. The area included within surrounding exterior walls, or exterior walls and fire walls, exclusive of vent shafts and courts. Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the building area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above.
503.1.2 Buildings on same lot.
Two or more buildings on the same lot shall be regulated as separate buildings or shall be considered as portions of one building where the building height, number of stories of each building and the aggregate building area of the buildings are within the limitations specified in Sections 504 and 506. The provisions of this code applicable to the aggregate building shall be applicable to each building.

60-foot distance or sprinkle the canopy is how I see it.