• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

carbon monoxide detection

TheCommish

SAWHORSE
I am looking for any code reference to carbon monoxide detection, fuel shut off and/or notification of any kind.

I see in the 2015 IBC there requirement for CO detection in E use groups, I am specifically looking for CO detection in restaurants or commercial kitchens, 2012 or 2015 reference would be fine

Thank you for your help

Not required

New York City Council is currently considering passing a bill that requires all New York City bars and restaurants to have carbon monoxide detectors on the premises. City Councilman James Vacca co-sponsored the legislation several weeks ago, however, Vacca is hoping to expedite the bill since the recent death of a New York restaurant manager from carbon monoxide poisoning. The leak sickened more than two dozen other people and caused police to evacuate the restaurant and other surrounding businesses.

See link

http://restaurantlawny.com/lawyer/2014/02/27/Restaurant,-Bar,-Tavern,-Nightclub-Law/NYC-Restaurants-May-Be-Be-Required-to-Install-Carbon-Monoxide-Detectors_bl12003.htm

Also see

http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/commercial-fire-codes/13795-man-dies-dozens-hospitalized-after-carbon-monoxide-leak-new-york-mall.html

Well he through in kitchen and restaurants

So I threw in the mcdonalds deaths

Hay he may have forgot one oxygen

Last edited by a moderator:
I am aware of the deaths due to CO2, the reason for the post is the a bill has been filed in the Massachusetts House to require the build code to writ regulation for CO detection in Restaurants, If the regulation all ready exist in the code family it would be easy to point to that.

Regulation written by Law usually has bad outcomes

Yep and not sure if a CO is good idea in a restaurant

Where will it be located, do they only need one, say the gas boiler is in an outside room and there are gas appliances in the kitchen

Would it be plug in, would it last, who is going to check to see if it is there every year

Is there a co problem??

cda said:
Yep and not sure if a CO is good idea in a restaurant Where will it be located, do they only need one, say the gas boiler is in an outside room and there are gas appliances in the kitchen

Would it be plug in, would it last, who is going to check to see if it is there every year

Is there a co problem??
Are there maintanence and service requirements for a CO monitor?

fireguy said:
Are there maintanence and service requirements for a CO monitor?
Possibly depending on type and set up

But if a plug in is allowed how would an ahj know it was still there in a few months??

cda said:
Yep and not sure if a CO is good idea in a restaurant Where will it be located, do they only need one, say the gas boiler is in an outside room and there are gas appliances in the kitchen

Is there a co problem??
Water Heater Pipe Blamed In Deadly L.I. Mall Carbon Monoxide Leak

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/23/investigators-eye-heating-system-in-deadly-mall-carbon-monoxide-leak/

"Gas lines to Panera Bread and Legal Sea Food had been shut off, McNally said, with Panera likely to get gas back Monday morning. Legal Sea Foods, which was issued a citation for violating town ordinances by having defective equipment, will have to show officials that the water heaters have been repaired before it can re-open, he said."

"The fire marshal said that the restaurant was due for an annual inspection in March and that the heating system would have been examined."

Dont' know where this type of inspection is in accordance with the Fire Code but see IFGC 501.15 and IMC 801.18

I'm not sure what a fire dept. inspection of a water heater involves but I wouldn't count on that to find a faulty flue. The deceased man's office was in the basement with no ventilation. That's probably why he died.

Francis Vineyard said:
Water Heater Pipe Blamed In Deadly L.I. Mall Carbon Monoxide Leak

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/23/investigators-eye-heating-system-in-deadly-mall-carbon-monoxide-leak/

"Gas lines to Panera Bread and Legal Sea Food had been shut off, McNally said, with Panera likely to get gas back Monday morning. Legal Sea Foods, which was issued a citation for violating town ordinances by having defective equipment, will have to show officials that the water heaters have been repaired before it can re-open, he said."

"The fire marshal said that the restaurant was due for an annual inspection in March and that the heating system would have been examined."

Dont' know where this type of inspection is in accordance with the Fire Code but see IFGC 501.15 and IMC 801.18
I like to check the rusted, holely, joint disconnected vent pipe, when I see a gas heater