• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Carbon Monoxide Diffuses Across Sheetrock

This will result in CO impermeable barriers to be installed at all garage walls adjoining living space. I can see it now.

Brent.

Already required here. It's called polyethylene. Most people call it vapour barrier. In this case it does double duty as a gas barrier as well.

tmurray said:
Already required here. It's called polyethylene. Most people call it vapour barrier. In this case it does double duty as a gas barrier as well.
You cutting edge Canadians!.....Good idea, but I don't think the odds of a multifamily with one side exempt for nonfossil fuels and attached unit with a CO issue is even remotely likely to happen...that would be some minor verbage changing for attached units....

Don't make house air tight so the CO will permeate to exterior instead of indoor room to room.

Span:

I agree, I can remember in the 60s I decided to put poly behind the tile in a shower, the inspector made me tear it out so I wouldn't create a dual barrier. Now I receive this from the California State Contractors' License Board, this is great, after insulation we will have to pay to verify that there is no air leakage, then after the house is complete we will have to pay again to prove that we have at least ASHRE 62.2 ventilation requirements, and ASHRAE and the state are both tripling 62.2 requirements, I guess we sold all buy stock in Panasonic.

\ said:
On January 1, 2014, contractors will no longer be allowed to use the visual inspection method

(checklist) and will be required to perform the field diagnostic test method (blower door test)

to verify building leakage. This requirement will apply to CF-6R-ENV-20-HERS forms that

are registered with an approved Home Energy Rating System (HERS) provider data registry

after December 31, 2013.

Contractors are required to verify the building air leakage when envelope sealing is modeled

for compliance credit for newly constructed residential buildings. This compliance credit is a

HERS measure, meaning the building leakage also must be verified by a third party HERS rater.