• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cardiac Rehab Fit Out

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Cardiac patients scheduled to come to the rehab clinic to exercise, learn to cook healthy, etc. Mostly machines for exercising but we noticed a few rooms not labeled and appear to have exam tables in them (in the drawings). It is not located in the hospital, but a separate building off site. There will be health care providers present and of course they will be assessed with vital signs at minimum before they start their program.

I have asked for the facility (hospital) to declare whether or not any of these areas are considered patient care areas and have given them the definition of patient care area in the NEC.

Does anyone else have experience with this type of out of hospital setup?

What were they designated?

My experience with hospitals and medical care providing facilities is [ typically ], they do not want

to formally declare anything that will cost them money. Even if they indicate that the rooms are

"Patient Waiting Rooms" and will not be used for examinations, how will you, or anyone else,

constantly monitor them to ensure they do not install examination tables and electrical exam

equipment?

To what degree will "they be assessed with vital signs before they start". Don't cardiac patients

typically have a somewhat more thorough exam before starting any type of exercise program?

( i.e. - EKG's, etc. ).

hpm_0000_0003_0_img0049.jpg

images

Yeah, ya gotta nail `em down jar! Make `em declare "in writing", their intentions!

I, unfortunately, have personal experience with one about a year ago. They are no different than a doctor's office or excercise room in a health club.

YES, this is a health care facility. Article 517 applies. The patient care areas must comply with Part II of the Article. All areas would be considered general care areas. Essential electrical systems as required in Part III, Section 517.45 would also apply, including 14.3.4.2 and 4.6.2.2 of the NFPA 99. Limited energy systems in the patient care area must meet 517.80; and 517.81 for the non-patient care areas.

I am predicting resistance on the Essential electrical systems requirement of Part III.

There are no beds in this facility and I am wondering why they are not trying to eliminate the Part II by declaring it an outpatient facility?

jar546 said:
I am predicting resistance on the Essential electrical systems requirement of Part III.There are no beds in this facility and I am wondering why they are not trying to eliminate the Part II by declaring it an outpatient facility?
Because outpatient facilities are still covered under 517.

Health Care Facilities. Buildings or portions of buildings in which medical, dental, psychiatric, nursing, obstetrical, or surgical care are provided. Health care facilities include, but are not limited to, hospitals, nursing homes, limited care facilities, clinics, medical and dental offices, and ambulatory care centers, whether permanent or movable.

I am predicting resistance on the Essential electrical systems requirement of Part III.
Size the wire larger to reduce the resistance. (sorry, engineer joke)

No reason for them to blow a fuse (I'll stop now). This is usually met in clinics by battery pack luminaires. Only if critical care is present are receptacles on Essential required (again, no different than any other Dr. Office).

If there are no patient beds and no critical care areas then I am not sure what has to be compliant with article 700 other than emergency lighting. There can't be life safety or critical so I am going to have to get my nose inside the NFPA 99 to see what is required for essential electrical systems for "other" health care facilities.

Section 14.3.4.2 of the NFPA 99 states that other health care facilities shall conform to a Type 3 essential electrical distribution system. Section 4.6 details Type 3 systems.

Section 4.6.2.2.2 states, "the system shall supply power for task illumination that is related to the safety of life and that is necessary for the safe cessation of procedures in progress.

As stated above, simple battery-power lighting units in the patient care areas would be compliant. No other emergency back-up systems would be needed for this particular occupancy.

For clarity, ...would the redundant grounding of receptacles in the "Exam Rooms / Areas",

as required by Art. 517.13(A) in the `08 NEC be required? Also, the luminaires if

installed lower than 7 1/2 ft. above the floor... ?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
globe trekker said:
For clarity, ...would the redundant ground of receptacles in the "Exam Rooms / Areas",as required by Art. 517.13(A) in the `08 NEC be required? Also, the luminaires if

installed lower than 7 1/2 ft. above the floor... ?

Thanks!

Yes, 517.13 would apply to this occupancy.

Chris

make them use the green stuff for power... even if it's not designated as a patient care area.. it is.

peach said:
make them use the green stuff for power... even if it's not designated as a patient care area.. it is.
Why make them use hospital grade AC cable in non-patient care areas?

Chris

I have inspected several projects in recent times where the installer used HCF cables everywhere, even where not required. I asked the same question Chris made above. The contractor stated the cost was not much greater and it prevented any mistakes by his installers. It sure makes for an easy inspection when you know only HCF cables and wiring methods are being used regardless.

Here in Florida, the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) limits the use of flexible cables to specific instances. Facilities under their jurisdiction almost always require metal raceways for ALL circuits to ALL locations. Non metallic raceways are limited to underground portions only, in non-patient care areas. 517.13 is really hard to not comply with in hospitals and surgical centers here in Florida.

Bryan,

If the contractor choose to wire the entire building with HCF grade cable then great, but for the AHJ to tell them they need to even in areas that the code does not require the cable bothers me.

Chris

I have heard the same as Bryan.....easier to just do it all the same.....I have even given heads up to new construction at a sports facility that was talking about P/T or doctor space adjacent....they put in health care cable in the common wall just in case...

Tables are often used in rehab. Rooms allow for privacy. (Our local hospital even has rehab in the cafeteria.)

Since many rehab facilities are in local malls, it appears that they have the more common electrical requirements. Nothing special.

If they don't designate the use of the room, you assume it's what? I would rather assume its a PCA than be wrong... if it looks like a duck, it is probably GOING to be a duck.. or tell me otherwise.

peach said:
If they don't designate the use of the room, you assume it's what? I would rather assume its a PCA than be wrong... if it looks like a duck, it is probably GOING to be a duck.. or tell me otherwise.
If they haven't designated what the room will be used for they won't get a permit. I deal with this issue at plan review.

Chris