• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Carousel storage fire protection

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
I have a box store that will be coming in next month and I know they use a carousel storage sytem for the clothing. Any ideas on how to protect this type of storage? 2009 IBC & IFC will probably fall under high pile storage. Just trying to get ahead of this one

Can you describe this a little more

Round and round I assume

One level two, three more

How high storage

About how many sq ft will this system take up.???

Clothes just hanging there or packaged in groups, or wrapped or????

Sounds like technical report requirement time

Also they may already have an fpe design to look at

MT,

probably already got your direction in this seeing how old it is but depending on the height and number of carousels; the ones we have are protected by overhead OH -II due to other storage in the back. In one case we have intermediate piping and heads between the carousels but that's a large center.

I am waiting for the plans from the Arch, suppose to be here 1st week in May. Then I will be able to be more specific as to size and type. I know the storage area will be 18 to 20 ft high so I was thinking high pile storage may come into play.

We have a couple of B Box with 24' high ceilings and stg to 18- 20' and the Overhead heads at .25 were used. The one we have had two tier so the design called for heads under the platform to protect that carousel since droplets could not reach from the overheads.

Really don't know if carousels are considered "Racks" and maybe AFPE should be asked or will chime in.

BTW...I see that NFPA's Western Regional Fire Code Development Committee will be in your neighborhood August 8-9. If you have not been to a meeting, I would highly recommend it. You would love it and the guys are great. I tried to get the joint meetings held there years ago when I was on the NorthCentral but we ended up in Jackson WY. You can attend and participate by filling out an attendance form (the summer sessions are not up yet but should be soon for the current attendance form):

http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?categoryID=833&itemID=21165&URL=Codes%20&%20Standards/Regional%20Fire%20Code%20Development%20Committees

Last edited by a moderator: