• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Carpet, Correct?

cda

Sawhorse 123
2009 IBC

Have not done a place of assembly with carpet on the floor in forever.

Building is sprinkled

804.4.1 IBC

For just regular floor area, not exit enclosure, exit passageway, or corriodr,,,,

carpet only has to meet "DOC FF-1 pill test" ?????

and not be Class I or II rated ????

( = )

From the `09 IBC, Section 804.4.1 - Minimum critical radiant flux:

"Interior floor finish and floor covering materials in exit enclosures, exit passageways

and corridors shall not be less than Class I in Groups I-1, I-2 and I-3 and not less than

Class II in Groups A, B, E, H, I-4, M, R-1, R-2 and S...............In all areas, floor covering

materials shall comply with the DOCFF-1 "pill test" ( CPSC 16 CFR, Part 1630 ).

Exception: Where a building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler

system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, Class II materials are

permitted in any area where Class I materials are required, and materials

complying with the DOC FF-1 "pill test" ( CPSC 16 CFR, Part 1630 ) are

permitted in any area where Class II materials are required."

( + )

Yep. However, you'd be hard-pressed to find a commercial carpet that wasn't at least Class II rated. When I'm preparing specifications, I specify Class II regardless, unless Class I is required.

RLGA said:
Yep. However, you'd be hard-pressed to find a commercial carpet that wasn't at least Class II rated. When I'm preparing specifications, I specify Class II regardless, unless Class I is required.
Thanks, like I said it has been awhile

I thought it was going to have to be Class I, till I opened the book

Guess like someone said go chapter by chapter to see if something applies and don't go by your worn out memory