• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Carport/ Construction Type/ NYC Building Code

VLADIMIR LEVIN

I'm trying to determine the allowable construction type and fire rating requirements for a detached carport on a lot with R2 occupancy (4 unit apartment building), in the Bronx (which is a fire district).
My conclusion is that Type V construction is prohibited (Table 601, Note i), so Type IIA or B allows the roof including girder to be fire treated wood (Table 601, Note b.2) but the entire structure still need to have a 1 hour rating (appendix D/ D102.2.4).

I'd like to build this all out of wood without a fire rating. Is there some exception that I'm missing somewhere?
Perhaps carports (U occupancy) <x sf. is exempt...