• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cast Iron Failure

Ed Cooke

Hey Folks,
I have had a small rash of questions pertaining to above ground pipe failure lately. I wanted to post what generally happens to Cast Iron after a time, and no, I am not a scientist to give the timeframes although I see this normally after decades of great service where installed correctly:
.....Since cast iron is made of metal, hydrogen sulfide gas can create a chemical reaction between the waste and cast iron when the pipes have waste flowing through them. When the gas oxidizes, sulfuric acid is created and causes corrosion within the pipes. This results in the common rusting pipes from the inside out. It also occurs in venting systems that are in conditioned spaces subject to heat and cold to varying degrees throughout their service life.
Hope this clarifies what may happen, so there is the why. But if you do repairs, thank whoever designed and/or installed this. Now go create the service call and get to it! Great position to be in, ehh???

I have a contractor-friend who completed the last 10 years of his career with a steady stream of work for a major fast-food chain, replacing cast iron with ABS. Apparently, the soda machines corrode the waste lines extra-fast.
He had worked out a system of demo and replacement during the night hours when the restaurants were closed.

Several times a contractor buried cast iron building sewer while leaving the fittings exposed. The test could not be water because I could not see the pipe. As a result, the test was 5 psi air. The fittings leaked. I came back to find a pallet of 90°, 45°, wye and tee....better than a dozen pieces. It was a nightmare for the plumber. The no-hub bands had to be replaced each time it was removed because it formed to the irregularities of the cast pipe and refused to reseal to a different surface.

I don't understand why some cities like Philly require cast iron drains but you can use Firco fittings. PVC is banned. More work for plumbers? Based on what I’ve heard throughout the years, union requirement that never
Based on what I’ve heard, Union Plumbers had that put in to protect the Union Plumber.
If accurate, the forethought is truly beneficial to licensed plumbers...

Based on what I’ve heard, Union Plumbers had that put in to protect the Union Plumber.
If accurate, the forethought is truly beneficial to licensed plumbers...
Seems to me that it would be better if they just required buildings to replace their all their plumbing every 50 years.