• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBC 1102A.3.1 - are multistory adaptable units to be provided in every building?

Yikes

Gold Member
Hypothetical 40 unit private apartment development, consisting of 8 nonelevator buildings, 5 units each, on grade. All units are multistory (2-story townhomes).

CBC 1102A.3.1 says:
At least 10 percent but not less than one of the multistory dwellings in apartment buildings with 3 or more dwelling units and/or condominiums with 4 or more dwelling units shall comply with the following:" (it goes on to list primary entry on accessible route, powder room, all rooms on ground floor accessible, and accessible common area amenities.).

It also says:
The minimum number of multifamily dwelling units which must comply with this section shall be calculated using the total number of all multistory dwelling units in buildings on a site which are subject to this section. Any fraction thereof shall be rounded to the next highest whole number.

Using the last sentence, I determine that 10% of 40 units = 4 adaptable multistory units (AMU). If I disperse them across the 8-building site, that means 4 buildings will have one AMU each, and 4 buildings will have no AMUs, correct?

But wait - - I have 8 buildings, and the exact wording is: "At least 10 percent but not less than one of the multistory dwellings in apartment BUILDINGS...".
So should I calculate it as: 1 AMU per building x 8 buildings = 8 AMUs (not 4), with one AMU in each building?

This has a profound impact on site design, especially on sloping sites where I may be able to place 4 buildings with AMUs + related amenities on a relatively flat part of the site, and place the other 4 buildings with no AMUs on the steep art of the site, where an accessible route will be difficult to achieve.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Follow-up question: If all 8 buildings have their own common laundry rooms, intended solely for the use of the residents in that building, must the 4 laundry rooms in the 4 buildings with no AMUs be on an accessible route, with accessible fixtures?
(If necessary, I could provide card-key access to limit laundry use only to the residents of each individual building.)

1127A.10.1 General

Where common use laundry rooms are provided, at least one of each type of appliance provided in each laundry area shall be accessible, shall be on an accessible route and shall comply with this section.

Does CBC have a section similar to IBC 1104.4? The exception for dwelling/sleeping units might do it.

Follow-up question: If all 8 buildings have their own common laundry rooms, intended solely for the use of the residents in that building, must the 4 laundry rooms in the 4 buildings with no AMUs be on an accessible route, with accessible fixtures?
(If necessary, I could provide card-key access to limit laundry use only to the residents of each individual building.)

1127A.10.1 General

Where common use laundry rooms are provided, at least one of each type of appliance provided in each laundry area shall be accessible, shall be on an accessible route and shall comply with this section.
IMHO
If the common laundry rooms are for the use of "only tenants of that building":
I would allow only the common laundry rooms, in the buildings containing accessible units, to be accessible. All laundries, in all buildings, should be on an accessible route. (Stories and mezzanines exempted)

Last edited: