• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBC 11B- 202 definition of "place of education"

Yikes

Gold Member
I have a not-for-profit religious client that wants to do a T.I training facility for young adults, to train them how to lead high school student religious clubs. The training facility (basically, meeting rooms) will include an ancillary R-2 boarding house with about a dozen sleeping rooms.

One of the plan check corrections is to provide accessible housing per 11B-224.7, which is "housing at a place of education". (That triggers transient guest room requirements, bed transfer devices, etc.)
11B-202 further defines this as:
HOUSING AT A PLACE OF EDUCATION. [DSA-AC] Housing operated by or on behalf of an
elementary, secondary, undergraduate, or postgraduate school, or other place of education, including
dormitories, suites, apartments, or other places of residence.

Clearly the intended use is not a "school" in the conventional sense of the word. It is more like a Sunday School, or what 303.1.4 would call "religious educational rooms". But what does the CBC phrase "other place of education" mean, and can the proposed religious training use get swept up in this definition?

I pretty sure we can provide the required accessibility. I'm more concerned about the Pandora's box that gets opened (or slippery slope or whatever other analogy) once code and zoning officials start thinking of this as an "education" use.

Calif, why not

If you call it a B, does that help any??

Training and skill development not in a school or academic program (this shall include, but not be limited to, tutoring centers, martial arts studios, gymnastics and similar uses regardless of the ages served, and where not classified as a Group A occupancy).

I have a not-for-profit religious client that wants to do a T.I training facility for young adults, to train them how to lead high school student religious clubs. The training facility (basically, meeting rooms) will include an ancillary R-2 boarding house with about a dozen sleeping rooms.

One of the plan check corrections is to provide accessible housing per 11B-224.7, which is "housing at a place of education". (That triggers transient guest room requirements, bed transfer devices, etc.)
11B-202 further defines this as:
HOUSING AT A PLACE OF EDUCATION. [DSA-AC] Housing operated by or on behalf of an
elementary, secondary, undergraduate, or postgraduate school, or other place of education, including
dormitories, suites, apartments, or other places of residence.

Clearly the intended use is not a "school" in the conventional sense of the word. It is more like a Sunday School, or what 303.1.4 would call "religious educational rooms". But what does the CBC phrase "other place of education" mean, and can the proposed religious training use get swept up in this definition?

I pretty sure we can provide the required accessibility. I'm more concerned about the Pandora's box that gets opened (or slippery slope or whatever other analogy) once code and zoning officials start thinking of this as an "education" use.
So, this is a church that want to exclude people with disabilities? Hummm

So, this is a church that want to exclude people with disabilities? Hummm

No, they are providing accessible facilities for a boarding house, and they have room to do it. the bedrooms have enough space, and the shared bathrooms are accessible. The issue is in the naming: the words "place of education" gets twisted by those in the community that would prefer not to have a place of education in their midst. For example, they picture traffic jams caused by school dropoffs (even though this is not a K-12 school). Likewise, hotels and AirBnB are a hot button planning topic, and homeless housing has its share of NIMBYs, so "transient housing" should be avoided.
A full explanation to reasonable minds in the community would clear this up, but in this era of sound bites and hot takes, the word "education" will get blown out of proportion.
In other words, the discrimination is not with the church it is with the community. I want to avoid the phrase "place of education" altogether.

Semantics? Better consult with an English professor.
Any examples of this type of "facility" anywhere?
Call it a Dorm? Nope! Not a hostel.
Overnight stays are your downfall here.
Not a camp.
What denomination is it?
A convent?

Mark, it seems to me that "place of education" is the key term. If "other places of residence" was the only issue, then we would all need our single family residences to comply.

Mark, it seems to me that "place of education" is the key term. If "other places of residence" was the only issue, then we would all need our single family residences to comply.
"...can the proposed religious training use get swept up in this definition..."
Yes if you believe...in that religion.

"Boarding House" sounds like a "dorm" to me, does it have a community room and if so couldn't that be seen as the "teaching/training" area with out calling it a classroom?