• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBC 1209.2.2 Walls and partitions. RE: Walls at a service sink.

Jamie Holmes

When it comes to service sinks in a janitor's closet, laundry room or any location other than a toilet or bathroom, is the smooth, hard, nonabsorbent surface required? If yes, please reference the code. I have been called on this for violation of 1209.2.2 even though Section 1209 is specifically titled "Toilet and Bathroom Requirements".

I'm not familiar with CBC, but IBC 1210.2.2 specifically mentions service sinks.

Service sinks get a LOT of abuse and spills. If you don't put in a hard, nonabsorbent surface around them it will probably have to be replaced in a few years.

I'm not familiar with CBC, but IBC 1210.2.2 specifically mentions service sinks.

Service sinks get a LOT of abuse and spills. If you don't put in a hard, nonabsorbent surface around them it will probably have to be replaced in a few years.
I appreciate your responding and I agree that wall protection at a service sink is a very good idea. My question and point is, that whether it is CBC or IBC the code section cited by the AHJ is titled Toilet and Bathroom Requirements. Not Laundry room or Janitor's closet or more specifically Service Sink Requirements. The plan called for FRP directly behind the sink up to 48" AFF but did not extend 24" beyond the edge of the sink because there was stainless steel work counter 8" from it.