• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBC EV charger location for existing facility:

Yikes

Gold Member
Please let me know if my illustration below is the correct interpretation of 2022 CBC 11B-812.10.4 exception #2.
The phrase "within the projected width of the access aisle" is confusing to me.
Does it mean (A) the charger can actually be located in the striped area?
Or does it mean (B) it is located in front of the striped area, as I have shown below?

1704235368479.png

1704235312991.png

Last edited:
The charger cannot be located within the stripped area (access aisle). The "projected width" is the space in front of the access aisle or parking space (imagine the striping continued forward past the curb - that is the "projected" area).

In short, (B) is correct.

The charger cannot be located within the stripped area (access aisle). The "projected width" is the space in front of the access aisle or parking space (imagine the striping continued forward past the curb - that is the "projected" area).

In short, (B) is correct.
Thanks! That makes more sense.

Covering all bases
As an aside, it is very frustrating that exception #2 applies only to existing facilities. Anyone who has worked on podium parking structures (such as at apartment buildings) on tight urban infill sites knows that every inch counts, and requiring an accessible route + charger at the head of the vehicle will add 4' to the bay width of most garages.