• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBC Section 1013 for existing apartments

miguele3

Bronze Member
Hi all, I apologize if you have all discussed previously however my searches through the forum were not fruitful. I am writing a report for the Owner on the existing condition of a property. The existing stairways inside and outside do not comply with accessibility or Chapter 10 Means of egress. I feel certain they do not need to comply with accessibility as they were built prior to 1991. My question is on the safety issue of having guards at the stair handrails that have openings bigger than the 4" allowed.

My thought is just telling the Owner that this is a violation and have them fix it the next time they modify the stairs. Do any of you feel that the AHJ could just come out and require compliance?

Existing nonconforming.

Yes they would need to be code conforming if modified.

But, It is a Risk management/liability issue, if someone were hurt He/she maybe liable.

The AHJ would only come out if there were a complaint, injury or if there for another issue