• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBO certification

buildcode

Hello all,

I am taking the exams for CBO certification. I have passed the technical and failed the legal mgt. I am having trouble with this exam. I realize that this has been posted before but if someone has taken the exam recently with success could you possible share your study habits. Also could you let me know what practice exams you used, any questions/topics you remember and what subjects in the books are important. I realize this not the most glamorous topic but I really need your help. I really do appreciate your time.

Peter J McLaughlin

Local Building Inspector

City of Cambridge Ma.

Are you taking the new exams, or the old ones (before Jan 1 this year)? I can't help with the new ones, except for general knowledge.

Have you taken the ICC Campus practice course for the test (if there's one available)? Seems like it focuses your brain on which sections of which books to be most familiar with. Or at least, it does for me. Worth the $$ IMO.

The most important thing (for me) on any ICC exam is to know the index of each book you have to take with you, and to tab every chapter of every book. Highlight the crap out of the books you don't know very well, and write notes (in ink!) in the books/indexes for sections you have trouble with.

Good luck when you go after it again. Let us know how it goes.