• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBO Legal / Mgt. Exam

globe trekker

I am getting ready to take the Legal / Management Exam part of the CBO cert.

We're using the 2006 I-codes.

100 questions, ..2 hrs. exam time length = 1.2 questions per minute! :eek:

Any insights, tips, experiences, other?

Skip the ones you don't know and do them at the end of the exam. Don't waist your time looking up questions you don't understand or are not sure of.

The questions you really don't know, pick one answer either 1,2,3,4 or a,b,c,d, which ever kind is on your exam and answer those questions using that one answer...ex answer all the unknown questions using 3 or C. [percentage wise] you'll come out ahead. Remember every question you don't answer is wrong.

Last but not least don't give up and take the exam again Right Away (within one week)if you don't pass...they will show you where you need to study and you will know basically what the test is like.

Good Luck!

Thanks ya'll!! :D

rliebowitz,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum, and thanks for the input!

I do not believe that I can take the test again right away, ..I am taking the

pencil & paper type of exam. This is once a Fiscal quarter right?

I took The legal in october, Then I took the tech in december. I thought the legal was much easier. I found alot of the answers in the definitions. I also found the ICC campus online course very helpful. The online course for the tech exam was not as helpful in my opinion, no plans or anything. Just dont waste to much time on the questions that you dont know, mark them and go back later.

GOOD LUCK!

I took the test a year ago. I had a lot of questions from the Building Department Administration and Legal Aspects of Code Administration. Then followed by Budgeting Guide for Local Government. I think I had 5-6 questions from the Building Code Books. I don't have a question from the Basic Code Enforcement text. I hope this helps.

Thank you moose & bkplan for your input!

Also, Welcome bkplan to the Building Codes Forum! :)

Make sure you have all of your permitted material with you; in other words, don't leave a book in your car like "legal aspects". Answer the ones you can, then go back to those you need to spend time on.

Write a cross reference for what area of what book has constitutional law for example. As well, don't think you can skip taking along the Fire Code just because you may be a building guy for example. I had a few fire operational permit questions on the test I took.

POP

globe trekker said:
I am getting ready to take the Legal / Management Exam part of the CBO cert.We're using the 2006 I-codes.

100 questions, ..2 hrs. exam time length = 1.2 questions per minute! :eek:

Any insights, tips, experiences, other?

DON'T PANIC!!!

Always carry a towel.

When in doubt, pick "B".

I took the legal/management exam today and passed. Lots of legal/court questions and tons of budget stuff. Probably one of the toughest tests i have ever taken to be honest.

YES! Congratulations!

And yes, I thought is was one of the tougher, partly because some of the reference materials were not from the codes, and of those, TOC and Indexes were sketchy, and just the number of reference material you need to have on hand.

Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around and contribute!