• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ceiling framing

I'd say yankee's got it right. What your showing in the picture is framing for a cathedral ceiling. The picture does'nt show enough to tell wether the rafters are in compliance or not. To me the ceiling joists to the left of the picture are quesstionable due to the birdsmouth cut. It looks like they are now maybe a 2x4.

"Ceiling framing

Anyone finding any issues with this?

Limited viewing, comment on what you can see. This is a drill........"

all I "see" is a simple vaulted ceiling. the rest is conjecture.

I can't see the connections at the ridge, top plate, wall braceing (or lack of), engineer stamp, USDA approval etc.

obviously they wanted the vault to break over the center of the window.

probably not the way i would have framed it and yes the cuts at the end of the ceiling joist' look a little deep

(what.. no one has a hand saw anymore?).

nobody mentioned the blocking required for the ceiling fan

Looking at it again it appears that they are planning on making this area into a smaller room inside the larger area. If that's the case a whole other can of worms is opened. As pointed out there's a hinge at the gable end framing and rafter tie issues and questions.

But it looks nice peice if you look at it as whole.

The lumber appears to be properly grade stamped.

The construction does not appear to be prescriptive. I expect the proper engineering has been done.

Thrust may be an issue...not seen...fireblocking wall to attic at ceiling plane, cut at "birdsmouth"...something about "bearing" at ends of joists...not just nails...

If the span of the rafters is great enough that the ceiling joists are functioning as required rafter bracing (in place of purlins), I would require that each ceiling joist butt the rafter, instead of being nailed to the side of the rafter. Also, the portion of the cathedral ceiling formed by the rafters does not appear deep enough to achieve more than a R19 insulation value (assuming 2x6 rafters).

http://www.inspectpa.com/phpbb/showthread.php?3180-Cathedral-Ceiling-Framing-and-R-values

Welcome to all of the new contributers. It is nice to have new opinions in here.

If we have a ridge beam as stated and the rafters are large enough by the charts then I don't see a huge issue. Like Fatboy said I don't like the gusset area connection either. The collar ties are not doing anything because they don't lap over on both sides. Collar ties must lap over both rafters and be face nailed with a specific number of nails. The butt joint with toe nails doesn't work. Now, if it is just a vaulted ceiling not structural (only carrying the weight of the drywall) it looks fine.

This thread started a while back and I didn't have time to comment. I agree with a good deal of what was stated above. Here are a few comments on what I see.

1. Header nailing / window: Doesn't seem to have proper nailing from what I see!

2. Top of plate left side: Light is coming in! What is going on? Is something missing?

3. Cathedral ceiling: These are ceiling joists! Appears to be 12/12 pitch. Sole cut is a little deep, but nailing is suspect?

4.If the ceiling joist are attached properly from right side rafter / to division wall/ and to the horizontal ceiling joist running to adjacent wall then no problem! Given that the rafter and ridge construction meet code. If the 12/12 ceiling joist are being used to stiffen the rafters then I need a design and seal.

5.Attachment of small ceiling joists right side! The nailing and design of attachment will cause drywall cracking. Poor at best install. I would suggest a stronger way to make the intersecting connection.

6.Energy: If batts are used no problem. Would not approve blow in insulation.

7. Roof plywood does not seem to have any clips of space? May be a problem.

8. Gable end wall: I believe needs bracing? Hard to tell! The seems to be very tall!

9. The window seems large enough to need some special treatment of nailing or straps to meet the wind section of the code?