• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ceiling insulation in basements below a garage

Cinci-hal

This is a question not only of what the residential code says but also a question of what is the best practice for the insulation in the ceiling of a basement that is below a garage. I'm not sure if that part of the insulation envelope is considered ceiling, floor, slab, or something else. The garage floor will be concrete supported by steel beams with metal pan decking. There will be 2x furring at the underside of steel beams with 1/2" drywall. I'm guessing closed cell spray foam on the underside of the tray and beams, but I'm unsure of the minimum thickness or additional insulation in the remainder of the cavities between the steel beams. The garage and the basement under the garage are an addition to an existing residence in climate zone 5A (Mason Ohio). The garage will not be insulated or heated. The basement under the garage will be conditioned and will have an opening to the rest of the existing basement.

FYI, our office (Canadians, so no authority, different codes) would treat this as a cathedral ceiling. We'd also be quite diligent on a vapour/air barrier to prevent penetration of carbon monoxide.