• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ceiling requirements for commercial restrooms?

Michael.L

We need to build a new ADA single-occupancy restroom in a commercial space. The previous tenant build-out (~40 years old) had a small restroom for employees only; we will be demolishing this existing restroom.

But I'm curious about partition wall and ceiling requirements for commercial restrooms. I know, from poking my head above the ceiling grid that the partition walls for the existing restroom do not extend up to the roof; they terminate at 10 feet (the height of the drop ceiling). Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact construction of the ceiling inside the restroom. But I do remember seeing a standard square A/C diffuser, so it may use the same acoustic tile drop ceiling as the rest of the space.

In any case, our new restroom will be publically accessible and obviously, it must comply with current building codes. But I haven't found any building code references regarding restroom ceilings, other than required minimum height. So I'm wondering if either the ceiling must be solid (e.g., drywall construction) and/or if the partition walls must extend above the drop ceiling to the building roof.

Not a code requirement to do so, but is a common practice by some for privacy concerns.

Thanks for the replies. I was specifically wondering about the privacy concern. But it could also present a security concern since, in our layout, the restroom will be adjacent to the office.

My present thinking is to spec a solid drywall ceiling. I guess I will have to set it at 10' as that is the height of the existing fire sprinklers, although I'd prefer it to be at 8' for aesthetics.

That raises another question: Is it required to have a fire sprinkler head in every partitioned room (e.g., the restroom, the office, storage room, etc)? I haven't mapped the location of the existing sprinkler heads yet, so I'm not sure if one falls within each planned room.

I believe you did say "prefer" 8', no? vs the 10' height of the existing sprinklers. Lowering the ceiling would add additional cost, no?

I believe you did say "prefer" 8', no? vs the 10' height of the existing sprinklers. Lowering the ceiling would add additional cost, no?
Yes, I'd prefer 8' for aesthetics: a small room with a very tall ceiling feels like a shaft. Yes, lowering the ceiling would require lowering the existing sprinkler heads at an additional cost. I stated, "I guess I will have to set [the ceiling] at 10' as that is the height of the existing fire sprinklers."

So how did you assume that I was willing to sacrifice safety for aesthetics?