• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ceilings or not

JamesT.

This may seem like an odd question (my favorite kind), but is there a code requirement for ceilings in a house? I know there are requirements having to do with ceilings if you have them, but I looked in the 2006 IRC and didn't find an actual requirement for a ceiling. The reason I ask is because I'd like to have exposed trusses on the little house I'll be building. I would have a narrow perimeter ceiling (16" wide) to avoid having to put some wiring in conduit, and to stiffen up the house, but I'd really like to have the trusses exposed. This is currently big with some of the rich folk (it's called the Costco look), but I assume the rich can do what they want if they hire a high-powered architect.

Not an IRC person

But I think the answer is not required

Like in log cabins

What are you going to do about insulating??

cda...

Thanks for responding.

The house will be in Hawaii (78 degrees days; 68 degrees nights; a little warmer in the summer), so the only issue is heat absorbed by the metal roof and the decking. Well, walls receiving afternoon sun, too. I thought I would create an air space under the roof decking and put up foil backed rigid foam. I'm hoping to used raised heel trusses (3 1/2" heel block) so that I'll have a long (40') screened ventilation slot on both sides of the house. If things work right, the pressure under the 3' eaves on the windward side will force air in, while the suction on the leeward side will draw it out. Given the low roof pitch (2/12), this should scour any hot air out of what peak there is.

Forgot you are the lucky one

Well, the airport there is not air conditioned

cda...

I think the government offices are, though. Curiously, many if not most of the houses on the Big Island don't take advantage of the climate. I see the same houses in Southern California when I drive through tract home developments built in the 70s and 80s, except for the width of the eaves. People swelter in them with their window air conditioners going and their electric bills skyrocketing ($.40+ per kilowatt/hr). Even the latest kit homes look like that. The trade winds have to be able to blow through the house (maybe not at full force), so you really need to open up the floor plan. That's why I made my design long and skinny, with the long side facing the breeze and lots of windows on both of the long sides.

Just got a response from the Plan Review Manager. No problem with the exposed trusses, so apparently there is no ceiling requirement. I have to run the siding all the way to the top chord, which messes with my mega-vents, but that can probably be worked out.