• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Central Vacuum Systems in SFR/Dwelling Units

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Other than the NEC, I can't find anything specific to central vacuum systems in the codes. If they are an add on and we don't know they are being installed, we run the risk of them damaging framing after we already sign off on the framing and MEP roughs. We can require an electrical permit but not a building, plumbing or mechanical permit.

How do you folks handle it.

For new construction, I think that comes down to the timing of the framing inspection. We communicate that the framing inspection is immediately prior to insulation, once all electrical, including low voltage (speakers, data, etc.), and other trades are done. In the case indicated, the central vac must be complete as well.

During the framing inspection we are verifying penetrations are within limits, straps/nail-plates are installed, draft stopping/sealed penetrations, etc.

If this is existing construction, I agree that there is not much in the code as justification for a permit. It is a system, so requiring a permit is valid. Inspection comes down to the aforementioned framing inspection items and the install location of the vacuum unit.

Usually we see them installed at rough-in stage have to make them reconnect the plates after they butcher them.

Interesting. What happens when they appear at final? Can it be proven they weren't there at rough? Is mention made of them if they were or were not there at rough?

Interesting. What happens when they appear at final? Can it be proven they weren't there at rough? Is mention made of them if they were or were not there at rough?
Unless they opened up the drywall then installed it then repaired the drywall which makes no sense.

Unless they opened up the drywall then installed it then repaired the drywall which makes no sense.
Maybe I misunderstood. I am imagining a case where the roughs are complete but the system is installed after inspection. For example, the HO decides to have it done (or do it) right before insulation or drywall. Unless the same inspector does all the inspections, and realizes the system was not there on the previous inspections, how would anyone know when it was installed or if it was inspected? Unless it is required to be listed as an installed system on the submittal documents, that would be different. If that is the case, it could be verified that is was supposed to be installed, and the assumption is made that is was inspected. But if it is not required to be documented then how would anyone be sure? Maybe the plans would/could be used, but in many areas the info on SFD plans probably isn't quite up to that standard.

To me this is a "moment in time" issue. The condition was inspected at that given moment. If elements are added after inspection (never happens!), in many cases how would we know?

Even if they come in and do the install after rough-in, they will need to foam seal the soul plate where they drill holes.

If I faced this at final I would make note "covered without inspection".

If this were installed without a permit I would point out:

Exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.