• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Certificate of Occupancy for Mobile Homes

bnolen

For all followers from Florida, does your jurisdiction issue a Certificate of Occupancy for a mobile home? I have been reluctant to do so as mobile homes do not fall under the Florida Building Code. I do issue mobile home set-up permits for the tie downs, electrical, sewer hook-up and then give the set-up a final inspection when all complete, but no CO as they are built under HUD guidelines. What is the concensus out there....COs or not?

We issued CO's for mobile homes when I worked in SFL during the early 90's. I would still do it today but the CO would clarify the work with regards to the items you described and not the actual construction of the home. We also found it a very use full tool to have in our box when the set up guys did not do something correctly, steps, landings etc. The finance companies did not release funds until they had a CO so the dealers where paying flooring on the units until then.

= = #

bnolen,

We DO issue C. of O.'s here, because the mobile home IS being occupied !

# = =

We currently do not do C.O.s or any inspections except for the electrical service, water & sewer hook ups. "Mobile home parks" are exempt from all inspections if the electrical, water & sewer are privately held. So that means that you can bring in a 1970's single wide and build an addition to it with old truck tires as a foundation. I've seen it!

In the jurisdiction I work, they don't issue CO's for any single family property.

We do here. The inspection includes the collection of the CSA number and an inspection of the exterior (decks, stairs, etc.) Since it has a CSA number the inside meets or exceeds code and the only thing left to inspect is the access structures.

We use a Certificate of Compliance, which includes the MHO setup, water works and sewage disposal and outbuildings but not the home itself.

In PA we do issue a C of O

If a new home is being placed, it falls under HUD guidelines and that of the PA DCED but we issue a permit after zoning approval. It is still a dwelling unit so there are requirements.

If it is a used home, it is not under the jurisdiction of the PA DCED so everything falls under the IRC, including foundations. Either way I C of O is issued.