• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Certificate of Occupancy

joetheinspector

Is there something in the IRC (we are under the 2009) that revokes a Certificate of Occupancy if the structure is vacant for a certain amount of time (a year)?

I seem to remember something like that but maybe I am thinking of the IBC or a local ordinance.

joetheinspector said:
Is there something in the IRC (we are under the 2009) that revokes a Certificate of Occupancy if the structure is vacant for a certain amount of time (a year)?I seem to remember something like that but maybe I am thinking of the IBC or a local ordinance.
We have a few homes that have had water line bursts and utilities were shut-off. We use R110.5 (2006) to red tag the residence and revoke or suspend the CO. Nothing specifically for vacancy, but structures have become uninhabitable due to vacancy related issues.

We have many septic systems in our area and they become violations once they have not been used for 3 months. No occupancy until they have had a state certified inspector approve them.

By any chance are you related to Joe the Plumber? I see he is running for office. Maybe you can get a new gig.

gbhammer said:
We have many septic systems in our area and they become violations once they have not been used for 3 months. No occupancy until they have had a state certified inspector approve them.
A fair number of our residents are summer people, the septics are unused for about half the year. What is the reasoning behind this?

Many municipalities create ordinances that provide for constitutially deficent PASSIVE TAKING of property rights issues, that we then become obligated to enforce because the idiots that created them (and thier robtic clone heirs) higher us then enforce.

Thank god for the frequent use of soverign imunity clauses in most state constitutions.

DRP the microbial action within the holding tank may degrade to the point of being unreliable, an injection of active bacteria or yeast will reactivate the system. other than collecting fees from the touristas there is no valid point. the first load of pizza party waste and beer can also serve the same general purpose casue peoples is also full of the same little critters

Exactly, first healthy flush and it's primed again. Dad had an excavator that believed in "priming" the tank with the critter of the day when he buried it.

It is not unusual for some of these homes to sit for over a year due to health or personal reasons. I see the locals fields break out more than these that get some recovery time between dosings.

Probably more structural problems in constantly occupied local poor folks homes than in these. I don't see an obvious correlation between occupancy and safety. Certainly a building can go downhill when unoccupied but the occupancy is not the problem lack of maintenance is, just as in an occupied home.