• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Certification VS State License

Uncle Bob

Could it be that State Inspector's License are contributing to fewer Inspectors getting ICC certifications?

In Oklahoma; you don't have to obtain ICC certifications to be an Inspector; just get a State License. I have found that most Inspectors in the Oklahoma don't have any ICC certs; and have no desire to get them.

In fact; at a meeting of the State Inspector's Committee two months ago they rejected a request to allow ICC courses for State required CEUs for State licensed inspectors.

When you can get a State license (which is mandatory); and have no thought of moving out of your State; there is no incentive to obtain ICC certification.

I think this is becoming one of ICCs income problems.

Does your State or local government require state license; with ICC certs not required?

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevada (my former home) and Kansas (my current home) do not have state licensure for inspectors. ICC certs are generally required by each AHJ, but it is left up to each municipality to determine what is required (for instance, whether you need to be specifically certified in a particular area to inspect it).

Georgia used to require inspectors to either be PE's, Master Licensed Tradesmen, or Certified. Well only kinda sorta. Anyone can inspect but if the inspector does not meet the qualified status the builder can get his own inspector to rebut the AHJ.(in a nut shell) I am probably mistaken on a couple of points because I never had to worry about my certs.

South Carolina requires a state license. To get it you have the be certified.

When the states license engineers they pay a lot of attention to determining if the questions on the exam are appropriate and fair. They will look at whether the questions are relevant to the work that will be done. Think about the promotional exams for fire figheters that were the subject of much litigation. When private certifications are issued it is not clear that the same oversight takes place.

In addition if a certification from a particular private entity such as IAPMO or ICC is required by law there is the possibility that a monopoly has been created. If there are other paths to fulfilling the job prerequisites then there may be less concern.

MLC & Mark K,

My bad; I should have stated " For Inspectors" on the title.

I see a growing away from ICC Certifications in some States for Inspectors.

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob

RI just ammended state certification law to require both inspectors and officials to

obtain ICC certifications.

Previous rules were

contractor w/3 yrs experince = inspector

contractor w/5 yrs experince = official

to be a contractor you had to write two checks that could clear the bank

one for liability insurance and one to contract registration board

now inspectors are mutilevel

inspect 1 = residentail and ICC Residential inspector

inspect 2 = res and commercial IICC residential and Commercial

official = ICC CBO

even architects and PE who were previously accepted as officials if Licensed need ICC CBO

we think its a good thing

Architect 1281,

Thanks for the information.

That's great; it seems tha Rhode Island is going in the right direction. In Texas and Oklahoma; the trend is to assign the authority and responsibilities of the Building Official to the Mayor, City Manager, Assitant City Manager, Director of Public Works, or City Planner; none of which have any idea of what those responsibilities are; or have even opened a code book.

State licensing; without ICC certification has greatly contributed to ignorance and personal preference "guiding" the building industry; as opposed a Certified Building Official administering the requirements of the codes, and, Certified Inspectors insuring that those requirements are adhered to in the field.

The arguement that being Certified does not mean that a person is more capable; holds the same water that an Accountant who passes the exams and becomes a certified accountant is not more capable. It just doesn't wash. It is saying that someone who is more educated and has proven it by examinaton, is not more knowledgeable and/or capable than someone who is not. It is an excuse for not requiring learning and competence testing.

Uncle Bob

Much like Vegas Paul was saying...Indiana does not have a required state license. Each jurisdiction requires its own form of certification. In my jurisdiction, different ICC certifications are required for different positions--whether you're an inspector, plans examiner, supervisor, etc. As a plans examiner I have only 3 required certifications--Res Bldg Insp, Permit Tech, Bldg Plans Exam. I wish they would require more for our position since we review EVERYTHING! However, they will pay for us to take "optional" certifications as long as the money is there.

Virginia has its own certification program that is mandatory for building officials inspectors and plans reviewers.

I had the BOCA Master Code Official cert but did not convert to ICC due to cost and no need with holding the VA Certs that were based on same test and some State required training.