• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chains on a fire hydrant

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Do the chains on the fire hydrant caps serve any other purpose other than preventing the cap from disapearing when the hydrant is in use?

pc1

Fire-Hydrant-on-BV-1.jpg

Around here there has been an increase in the theft of fire hydrant caps. They just cut the chains.

Brass is fetching a pretty good amount (of money) when recycled. I'm surprised that

more caps aren't stolen!

I noticed a lot of hydrants in town with the chains dangling from the caps and not attached to the hydrant since we've been painting the bonnets for flow rates. I wondered if the main purpose was to prevent the cap from blowing off when charged?

I also wondered if the fire district cuts them loose when fighting a fire, and if that's a normal practice?

and yes they are taken the brass caps off the FDC for the brass. makes a nice bird nest!

pc1

Sometimes ff will cut them because they are binding up and time counts. Ive cut my fair share...haha