• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change of plan - openings between townhouses

Yankee said:
I haven't found the answer to my dilemma in these posts. So, it would seem, that some people agree that an apartment house can be built with (for instance) four dwelling units that require 1 hour separation, and the next year they can be turned into condo's on separate parcels that WOULD HAVE required 2 hour separation when built, and this all makes sense?
Why would dwelling units in R2 require two hour separation?

706.1.1 Party walls. Any wall located on a lot line between adjacent buildings, which is used or adapted for joint service between the two buildings, shall be constructed as a fire wall in accordance with Section 706. Party walls shall be constructed without openings and shall create separate buildings.

Exception: Openings in a party wall separating an anchor building and a mall shall be in accordance with Section 402.7.3.1.

LOT. A portion or parcel of land considered as a unit.

LOT LINE. A line dividing one lot from another, or from a street or any public place.

and of course...

FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE. The distance measured from the building face to one of the following:

1. To the closest interior lot line; or

I think I mentioned Party Wall a few pages back...

If you're going to the IBC for a solution the first provision (Party Wall) becomes a problem.

If staying in the IRC the last item (Fire Seperation Distance) does.

The only way to allow, IMHO, would be to eliminate the lot line.

NYS has much different Administrative provisions than most of the rest of you, so I won't opine on the idea of a waiver or variance.

The Code may not address ownership, per se, but it certainly recgnizes lot lines and Distance Seperations.

Once the lot line is eliminated, it is either a two-family with rated wall or a single family with two kitchens.

As far as the electrical supply, a service can have more than one meter attached, but a single lot can have only one service (with some limited exceptions).

Condo's are all on one lot just like apartments. The only real difference is that condo units are owned individually, typically by the occupant. There are no property lines between individual dwelling spaces and based on OUR interpretation, no need for 2 hour walls separating units.

Townhouses are individual units on individual lots which requires a 2-hour wall between units--at least here it does based on OUR interpretation of the building code.

As for the original desire to put openings between the two units--it is easy to accomplish if you want to. If you do not want to allow it, it is probably just as easy to deny. It all depends on your mindset.

I don't think it is an interpretation of the building code that determines if the units are on separate lots, but the manner in which they are subdivided (or not) with regard to local/state planning and subdivision regulations. Here, condo development is by state Statue a subdivision of land requiring that each unit be a separately parcel and registered as such with the State

Yankee said:
Here, condo development is by state Statue a subdivision of land requiring that each unit be a separately parcel and registered as such with the State
That's very unusual and interesting. What state are you in?

Yankee said:
Because the new lot line would require that a fire wall be between the parcels.
"A portion or parcel of land..."

Within the building code, use the building code definitions because using those from zoning or subdivision regulations may create confusion.

brudgers said:
"A portion or parcel of land..."Within the building code, use the building code definitions because using those from zoning or subdivision regulations may create confusion.
So what are you saying, I lost the thread of your part of the discussion?