• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change of Use, 1960's nonsprinklered Motel to multifamily

GregC

I have a project that is going from R1 to R2 as a temporary solution to an area of blight as they do some other developments on site before ultimately tearing these down. So the owners are trying to avoid spending a lot of money.

2 buildings similar but not identical as the site isn't flat.
2 story
11147 sf per floor per building (Thats over whats allowed as nonsprinklered)
Units are tiny so the bathrooms don't work for accessibility.
2018 Codes (Idaho)

Do we have to sprinkler the building?
Does the entire building need to be brought up to full compliance on accessibility?
Noise ratings between units?

One of my colleagues swears it does and has more experience in this arena than I do, however, I feel like I've seen things to the contrary.

Trying for the Performance Based Method (In my mind it gives the most latitude, although I am not positive on that)

Seems like you could issue a temp CofO for a defined period, maybe a year, non-renewable. I wouldn’t be concerned about noise separation. Maybe install new smoke alarms tied to a monitoring service. Add a portable fire extinguisher in every unit.

as a temporary solution to an area of blight as they do some other developments on site before ultimately tearing these down.
Get a specific time frame for this temporary solution and you could consider the following.

License it as a hotel/motel under your state laws and pay the bed tax. Then rent the rooms on a weekly or monthly time frame, and you are an R-1 under the code.