• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change of Use B to I4 or E

JBriglia

I have an existing Business Occupancy that my client wants to convert into an adolescent, child & adult psychology daycare. The total sq. ft. is 1,400, and has direct egress to the exterior on the level of exit discharge. The space will be separated from the remainder of the building by a 2-hr separation. The existing building is not protected by a fire sprinkler system and may not have a fire alarm system. I-4 will require a fire sprinkler system and a fire alarm system. Does Group E provide an exception that would allow this occupancy without adding sprinkler protection for an occupant load of less than 50? I am in North Carolina jurisdiction.

Is the use the education of children 1st through 12th grade? if not, this is not an E use.
The Dept. of Health & Human Services allows for this use in either an I4 or E occupancy, basically, it's a daycare for adolescents with issues that are under the care of healthcare professionals and as such is under their purview. My question is if an E occupancy of this limited size can exist without sprinkler protection or a fire alarm. Adding a fire alarm would not be a deal breaker but sprinkler protection in an existing office building probably would be cost-prohibitive.

The Dept. of Health & Human Services allows for this use in either an I4 or E occupancy, basically, it's a daycare for adolescents with issues that are under the care of healthcare professionals and as such is under their purview. My question is if an E occupancy of this limited size can exist without sprinkler protection or a fire alarm. Adding a fire alarm would not be a deal breaker but sprinkler protection in an existing office building probably would be cost-prohibitive.
DHHS doesn't regulate building code. They're saying that either occupancy works for them, but if you're applying for a permit that includes a change of occupancy, then it needs to conform to current code. What's your role in the project?

I am not in NC so you or your design professional, need to check your local codes, but it's likely the same. There's a lot more than I'm posting so read on once you get into it.

305.1 Educational Group E

Educational Group E occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, by more than six persons at any one time for educational purposes through the 12th grade.

305.2 Group E, Day Care Facilities

This group includes buildings and structures or portions thereof occupied by more than six children 2 years of age and older who receive educational, supervision or personal care services for fewer than 24 hours per day.

308.5 Institutional Group I-4, Day Care Facilities

Institutional Group I-4 occupancy shall include buildings and structures occupied by more than six clients of any age who receive custodial care for fewer than 24 hours per day by persons other than parents or guardians, relatives by blood, marriage or adoption, and in a place other than the home of the clients cared for. This group shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
Adult day care
Child day care

308.5.1 Classification as Group E

A child day care facility that provides care for more than six but not more than 100 children under 2 years of age, where the rooms in which the children are cared for are located on a level of exit discharge serving such rooms and each of these child care rooms has an exit door directly to the exterior, shall be classified as Group E.

508.1 General

Each portion of a building shall be individually classified in accordance with Section 302.1. Where a building contains more than one occupancy group, the building or portion thereof shall comply with the applicable provisions of Section 508.2, 508.3 or 508.4, or a combination of these sections.