• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change of Use: Group U to Group A5

I am evaluating the opportunity for a Change of Use from an inappropriately assigned Group U, to an appropriately assigned Group A5. The existing II-B building (26,000 sqft) is open on its sidewalls to 9' above finish floor level. After examining Section 3410, Group A5 - Assembly is noticeably absent from all tables and all of Section 3410. I believe a Group A5 building is less hazardous than the other occupancies, but is omitted from Section 3410 for other reasons?

Re: Change of Use: Group U to Group A5

IBC 2006 - Commentary, Section 303, Group A5: "Structures classified in Group A-5 are outdoor facilities where people assemble to view or participate in social and recreational activities. In order to qualify as and outdoor facility, the structure must be one where the products of combustion are freely and rapidly vented to the atmosphere (i.e., a structure without enclosures that would prevent the free movement of smoke from the occupied area to the outside). Any recreation facility that has exterior walls that enclose the facility and a roof that fully covers the area would not be classified in Group A-5, but rather in Group A-3 or A-4 depending on whether a seating area has been provided."

If an event does occur and smoke fills the building to the 9'-0" above finish floor elevation. The smoke will not accumulate below this level. It will escape at 9'-0" to the atmosphere. The building is open at all times. There are no wall panels, retractable doors or other.

Where do you imply your position in regard to A5? I do not discern the same from the data published with IBC 2006 or commentary? Clearly, A3 and A4 are enclosed, or hybrid enclosure type structures. This is not. Even if the eave of this building was at 9' without exterior walls, I still believe it is open to the atmosphere. There is no heat or air conditioning.

Thank you for weighing in. And thank you for your generous hospitality. I don't see any yellow smiling faces with a beer bottle in hand, otherwise I'd post it.

I would contact the AHJ in this situation for his/her interpretation and file an appeal if you don't agree with the decision.

ewesthues-assoc-aia

what do you want to actualy use this for????

Yes you can have semi enclosed areas in an A-5

The building is used as a multi-purpose events arena. Mostly horse and cattle shows. Use Group A-4 exceptions are unachievable due to proximity to another structure. Less than 40 feet without rated exterior walls and openings.

But to put an end to all of this, my client has opted to pursue A-4, with proposed exceptions provided by the local jurisdiction.

Does anyone know why A-5 is specifically excluded from Chapter 34?

My guess?

Either the correlating committee didn't pick it up.. or Chapter 34 is so limited, that the change of use may really need to be booted back to the A-5 occupancy.