• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change of Use, Use group, or Use group classification, but definitely something

Mech

2018 IEBC
In one building space there is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Gym / Fitness, wrestling area used by a wrestling club, and a softball academy all on the first floor and a baseball academy on the second floor. I assume they are multiple businesses / entities perhaps sub-leasing areas of the space.

I have determined these are A-3 Use Group and maybe an A-4 depending if there are spectators. The photos I have seen do not show any bleachers or defined seating areas, so that is why A-4 is a maybe.

BJJ, Gym / Fitness, wrestling club, and softball academy may be moving upstairs and baseball may be moving downstairs.

Assuming all of these uses are A-3, are they all gymnasium space utilization and can move throughout the tenant space without triggering a change of occupancy?

IEBC definition Change of Occupancy: A change in the use of a building or a portion of a building that results in any of the following:
1. A change of occupancy classification.
2. A change from one group to another group within an occupancy classification.
3. Any change in use within a group for which there is a change in application of the requirements of this code.

Thanks!

3. Any change in use within a group for which there is a change in application of the requirements of this code.
This is really the guiding language....If there is something in code that is different for the new tenant or space it's a COU......Which also sorta covers #1&2 also, but they are spelled out for clarity..