• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

change of use?

eaton89

I have a agriculatural exempt building that was built years ago (unknown). New owner has broken the property to 1 acre. Building would not fit for exemption today. Owner want s to put a buisiness in the building. I am requiring him to get a change of use permit and bring the building to current code. It will be classified as a s-1 building about 2500 sqft and not sure how they will classify the building type of construction.(its a large steel tank). My question is, a s-1 use requires a water closet and a lavatory. Am I correct in this interpetation? I cant see any way out. I'm getting a lot of grief over this so I would just like to here others opinion. We are using the 06 icc codes, so 06 IBC, IPC, IMC and 08 NEC. Give me your opinion. I'm trying to do my home work. I havent been doing this for very long.

Thanks

Re: change of use?

Are there any other buildings nearby associated with the proposed business? Another associated building with restrooms within 500' would satisfy me.

eaton89,

Welcome to the Code Forum! :)

I agree with vegas paul! If there are other restrooms within the 500' distance that are

directly associated with this particular building [ meaning that any other building that is

owned by this 'proposed' new business ] and that does not cross someone's property line

would meet the minimum reqs.

Is this the case? Are there other restroom facilities nearby? :?: Also, have you

performed a min. fixture count calculation to determine what is needed?

sounds like a good call, bring the building to current code under change of use.

Any past practice of same problem????

Thanks for the welcome. I thought the same thing on using another building but once they broke the property up, they are all alone. The closest building is a single family dwelling and they already tried that one. They were asking if they could get an easement, thats pretty funny if you ask me. They also said no public will be let in the building, and they didnt want to have a bathroom. When these didnt work they asked if they could use a porta potty! Well anyway, any other thoughts? I'm afraid to ask but, What is the Boeing exception?

Not a building inspector but would start with the foundation. Most agriculatural buildings do not have proper footings and vapor protection for the building to be converted to other uses. Any load bearing walls constructed need load bearing footings. This sounds like a silo. I would send it to a DP.

Sounds like they don't want to install a septic system. No way around the bathroom requirement. Should have asked questions before they bought. A common mistake.

I have heard several people say that they would not have purchased a building if they had know what was going to be required.

eaton89 said:
Thanks for the welcome. I thought the same thing on using another building but once they broke the property up, they are all alone. The closest building is a single family dwelling and they already tried that one. They were asking if they could get an easement,
That would be a legal "Right Away!"

Well it seams I'm in line with the majority. They will have an engineer put his name on the building. It would be designed to an alternative construction(giant steel tank). Just 2 items problems remain, bathroom and polyurathane insulation on the interior! Owner is not happy with me!

texasbo said:
FredK said:
Welcome.By all means use the Boeing exception if possible.
Boeing exception?

As Paul Harvey would say, "Now for the rest of the story".

Boeing was the one that complained about distance between restrooms in the original ADA way back when. That would have require many more restrooms when building the plane and wings before joining them.

Just some reason why it's part of the ADA..... :D :D

eaton89

can you post a picture or two of this thing?????????????

are you kidding! You guys would forever be stuck with this image in you mind! LOL. but seriously It is going to be used as S-1 and the conditions for its design will follow the requirements for the ocupancy. The engineer doesnt have a problem with the construction and is willing to put his stamp of approval on it and I think I would probably agree with that portion of the design but exempting the bathroom or insulation is not going to happen.