• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Changes at the bottom of the pages

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Using Google AdSense to increase traffic

Please don't flame me but I met with another forum administrator who has an extremely large forum that has about 176,000+ users and millions of posts. He has highly recommended that I use google adsense to increase traffic to the site.

At the bottom of the pages there will be text only by google with what are suppose to be relevant links to other business sites.

THIS WILL NOT BE VISIBLE TO THOSE THAT HAVE DONATED AND ARE SIGNED IN

What he has explained to me is that although this is form of advertising that does not generate much if any money at all, it puts the website into hyper-drive with google as far as their searches are concerned.

It will only be at the bottom of the pages and it is set to only be text, no banners or flashing crap. This is for the good of the board to increase traffic.

Again:

THIS WILL NOT BE VISIBLE TO THOSE THAT HAVE DONATED AND ARE SIGNED IN

This is a trial basis to see if the increase in traffic is steady and worth it.

If you have a problem with this and you donated money, I will refund your money in its entirety. This move was HIGHLY recommended to increase traffic through google. I did not allow banners or it to be placed anywhere other than the bottom of the page. I am sure that most people will not see it.

Feedback please and make sure you sign in if you don't want to read the google text at the bottom of the page.

Jeff,

I haven't donated yet but, you wrote;

" Feedback please and make sure you sign in if you don't want to read the google text at the bottom of the page. "

I stay signed in; and I see three google ads at the bottom of the page.

Also, one of the ads is specific to (targeting) me; meaning that google is tracking me here; on this site.

One ad at the bottom of this page, right now says " Norman 1-Day Coupons " ( I live in Norman, Oklahoma).

I feel that means that they are being given access to my personal information on this site.

Uncle Bob

Bob

Google knows about you because of the cookies on your computer

not because of your personal information on this site.

Have someone teach you how to delete your cookies

Mark,

Thanks for the information.

I still don't see how these ads bring people to this site; becuase they target me; not people who are not here.

Oh, well; Jeff, I don't know about this stuff; but, I hope it works for you.

Uncle Bob

Bob

Google can, based on searches and directions you have asked for, and you IP address, instantaneously direct ads to you

It has nothing to do with this site

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncle Bob said:
I still don't see how these ads bring people to this site; becuase they target me; not people who are not here.
Just follow the money.

Part 1:

Companies contract with Google to place ads on websites

Google places the company's adds on websites such as this one.

When someone clicks on their ad the company pays google a fee.

Part 2:

Google runs a search engine.

People type in search terms.

Google returns a list of sites ranked according to relevance.

Part 3:

An MBA at Google decides that sites with Google ads are highly relevant.

Programmers adjust the algorithm ranking search results accordingly.

Part 4:

Building Code Forum starts displaying Google ads.

Building Code Forum becomes more relevant.

I don't mind getting ads that are relevant to me . . . why would I want an ad that gave me coupons for Norman Oklahoma? The other day I was shopping for a golf umbrella (off season, ya know??) and so visited several sites. The next day on my yahoo sidebar, don't I see ads for umbrella sales . . . I though that was handy. I do think that there is a line where private information should remain private, , I'm just not sure where that line would be.

I'm also one of those "haven't donated yet" persons. I don't mind the ads at the bottom of the page.

(I'm just wondering about this one that says "Hide your money in our Grand Cayman Bank!" - Kidding!!!)

Yankee said:
I don't mind getting ads that are relevant to me . . . why would I want an ad that gave me coupons for Norman Oklahoma? The other day I was shopping for a golf umbrella (off season, ya know??) and so visited several sites. The next day on my yahoo sidebar, don't I see ads for umbrella sales . . . I though that was handy. I do think that there is a line where private information should remain private, , I'm just not sure where that line would be.
That line would be way behind us...like 1998.

They've been tracking you for years.

Gene Boecker said:
(I'm just wondering about this one that says "Hide your money in our Grand Cayman Bank!" - Kidding!!!)
I guess Jeff put "Building Inspector" into the SEO data.

One for Google Ads and two for plumbing... I hate plumbing! LOL

Jeff, Whatever is best for the success of the site. I never scroll down to the bottom of the page anyway... only far enough to hit 'Post Quick Reply'.

Has anyone clicked on any of the google links at the bottom of each page? I had to agree not to so I can't see the relevant web sites that they lead too.

Some feedback to anyone who has clicked through to the google linked sites please.

JBI,

said: "One for Google Ads and two for plumbing... I hate plumbing! LOL "

JBI, for now Google is only suggesting you take some plumbing courses; eventually, they will be ordering you to take them; :)

Uncle Bob

The 'Thanks' button is the equivalent of the facebook 'like' button. I seem to remember someone asking if that could be done... thanks Jeff.

Can't remember where it was asked but I clicked through a couple of the ads before logging in to try to get Jar a couple of bucks for coffee. Hope it worked :)

It looks like clicks through and spending at least some time on the clicked through site are the ticket. Tuesday was a very busy day on this board with over 8,500 page views but not 1 click through so the amount for the day was $0.00

I just can't see how anyone other than google is making money from this. Does not matter, as long as we are getting better search engine priority I am happy.

To really monetize a site with ad revenues you really want millions of page views a day...not that 8500 is anything to sneeze at.

They also will place adds next to the scroll bars and other places where people are likely to click accidentally.

People who are really serious about it don't use Adwords but negotiate advertising contracts directly.

(encouraging users to click is not a good for the site's reputation as far as Google is concerned).