• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Changing 2 exit corridor into 1 exit

RayP

Hello Everyone,

I have a client that is requesting to block off one of the exits with a pathology lab shown in the red border with the 1024 SF in the middle of it. I've checked the occupancy count and I believe i can get it to be under 49 occupants. (note there were previous modifications to the building from a previous architect which divided up the overall space into different tenant spaces which is why the overall occupancy count can be under 49). I was wondering if anyone new of any code requirements that prevented me from providing this layout? The is a non-licensed non OSHPD 3 clinic in California. Also, Is there any reason why the corridor walls would have to be rated if the building is sprinklered?

project image

Thanks, Any recommendations on uploading the image then? Facebook is all i have and I didn't find an image upload in this post editor

If you are a forum supporting Sawhorse,,, you can hit the upload button and post away

Otherwise have to make a link using something like Flickr and post the link

When you block off one end of a corridor, the most likely restriction would probably be maximum common path of egress travel. How long is the travel distance to the one remaining exit from the farthest point in the suite, without going through the new lab?

Hello Everyone,

I have a client that is requesting to block off one of the exits with a pathology lab shown in the red border with the 1024 SF in the middle of it. I've checked the occupancy count and I believe i can get it to be under 49 occupants. (note there were previous modifications to the building from a previous architect which divided up the overall space into different tenant spaces which is why the overall occupancy count can be under 49). I was wondering if anyone new of any code requirements that prevented me from providing this layout? The is a non-licensed non OSHPD 3 clinic in California. Also, Is there any reason why the corridor walls would have to be rated if the building is sprinklered?

project image
Here is the Flicker link Flickr Link

If you are a forum supporting Sawhorse,,, you can hit the upload button and post away

Otherwise have to make a link using something like Flickr and post the link
Thanks, I just added the flickr link

When you block off one end of a corridor, the most likely restriction would probably be maximum common path of egress travel. How long is the travel distance to the one remaining exit from the farthest point in the suite, without going through the new lab?
thanks, I should be fine with the travel distance, longest is 120 ft with max travel distance at 300 ft with sprinklers for a B-occupancy

thanks, I should be fine with the travel distance, longest is 120 ft with max travel distance at 300 ft with sprinklers for a B-occupancy
I’m referring to common path of egress travel. It’s different from exit access travel distance. Common path is limited to 100 feet in a B occupancy.

Need to see the entire floor

I take this is an upper floor???

So need access to two exits/ stairs

Plus look to see if you are creating dead end.
Need to see the entire floor: you have direct access to the exterior of the building from the space shown, rest of building is not necessary for egress of this area

I take this is an upper floor??? No, this is the main level to the street. There is a basement below and a 2nd level

So need access to two exits/ stairs: No, this floor has access to main level

Plus look to see if you are creating dead end: will not be creating dead end if treated as an occupancy of less than 49 people