• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Changing occupancy from A to B

Rick 1956

I am trying to change an occupancy from A to B. A restaurant adjacent to a small office. the tenant will eventually occupy this office space to expand the restaurant.
Is there a code section that will allow circulation space as non occupancy to reduce the count to keep it a B occupancy until the expansion?

I am trying to change an occupancy from A to B. A restaurant adjacent to a small office. the tenant will eventually occupy this office space to expand the restaurant.
Is there a code section that will allow circulation space as non occupancy to reduce the count to keep it a B occupancy until the expansion?
Got a floor plan?

So, to clarify, the restaurant (Group A) is leasing an adjacent office space (Group B) that they will eventually modify for what: office, dining area, kitchen, storage?

It sounds like it will eventually change from a Group B occupancy to a Group A occupancy if the plan is to make the area a part of the kitchen or dining area.

If the restaurant is not using the other tenant space until the expansion is completed, then it can remain as Group B until the expansion is designed and permitted for the new occupancy group.

Please re-state the question. You start by saying you want to change from A to B -- implying that there is currently no B occupancy. Then you ask about keeping it group B (which doesn't currently exist) until the expansion [and change to A?] is permitted.

I'm confused.