• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chapter 1 of the International Energy Conservation Code Applies

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Chapter 1 of the IECC applies separately from any of the administrative amendments to Chapter 1 of the IBC, even if Chapter 1 of the IBC/IRC were replaced with State Statutes.

Chapter 1 of the IECC is a stand-alone administrative chapter that has detailed information on enforcement specific to the energy code.

For example, in Florida, Chapter 1 of the FBC has been modified to comply with Florida Statutes but it can be amended by the local jurisdiction. Chapter 1 of the FBC Energy (same as IECC) still applies. As previously stated, very specific administrative requirements are needed in Ch 1 of the FBC Enerfy in order to properly enforce the code.

The same can be said for Pennsylvania. Chapter 1 of the IBC was replaced with State Statute 403 but PA did not repeal all of the chapter ones, such as Ch 1 of the IECC which still applies in PA.

Basically, without Chapter 1 of the IECC, you cannot properly enforce the code.

You may have a state that specifically repeals Chapter 1 of the IECC.

Virginia amended Chapter 1 of all the I-Codes and left this out. A lot of this information would normally be shown somewhere on the drawings. The plan reviewer could still ask for this information if it isn't provided, which would delay permit approval.

Several books have Ch. 1 stuff that should be kept...Like the IMC...

[A] 110.1 Construction Documents

Construction documents, engineering calculations, diagrams and other data shall be submitted in two or more sets, or in a digital format where allowed by the building official, with each application for a permit. The code official shall require construction documents, computations and specifications to be prepared and designed by a registered design professional where required by state law. Where special conditions exist, the code official is authorized to require additional construction documents to be prepared by a registered design professional. Construction documents shall be drawn to scale and shall be of sufficient clarity to indicate the location, nature and extent of the work proposed and show in detail that the work conforms to the provisions of this code. Construction documents for buildings more than two stories in height shall indicate where penetrations will be made for mechanical systems, and the materials and methods for maintaining required structural safety, fire-resistance rating and fireblocking.

Several books have Ch. 1 stuff that should be kept...Like the IMC...

[A] 110.1 Construction Documents

Construction documents, engineering calculations, diagrams and other data shall be submitted in two or more sets, or in a digital format where allowed by the building official, with each application for a permit. The code official shall require construction documents, computations and specifications to be prepared and designed by a registered design professional where required by state law. Where special conditions exist, the code official is authorized to require additional construction documents to be prepared by a registered design professional. Construction documents shall be drawn to scale and shall be of sufficient clarity to indicate the location, nature and extent of the work proposed and show in detail that the work conforms to the provisions of this code. Construction documents for buildings more than two stories in height shall indicate where penetrations will be made for mechanical systems, and the materials and methods for maintaining required structural safety, fire-resistance rating and fireblocking.
Yes, absolutely. Chapter 1 of almost every book applies in just about every state that adopted the ICC codes, including Florida who heavily edited the I-Codes and Pennsylvania who only removed Chapter 1 of the IBC but no other chapters.

I started this thread because I believe many people don't pay attention to chapter 1 of the codes.

Yes, absolutely. Chapter 1 of almost every book applies in just about every state that adopted the ICC codes, including Florida who heavily edited the I-Codes and Pennsylvania who only removed Chapter 1 of the IBC but no other chapters.

I started this thread because I believe many people don't pay attention to chapter 1 of the codes.
Yep...CT "lumps" everything into the IBC for "one Ch. 1" to make amendments/ adoption easier, but it creates some issues....