• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

chapter 46 2009 IFC

cda

Sawhorse 123
anyone admend this chapter in any way?

If so what sections and how??

if not are you doing retro active enforcement???

Washington State amended the means of egress section:

4604.1 General. Means of egress in existing buildings shall comply with Section 1030 and 4604.2 through 4604.23.Exception: Means of egress conforming to the requirements of the building code under which they were constructed and Section 1030 shall not be required to comply with 4604.2 through 4604.21.

4604.1.1 Evaluation. Existing buildings that were not required to comply with a building code at the time of construction, and that constitute a distinct hazard to life as determined by the fire official, shall comply with the minimum egress requirements when specified in Table 4603.1 as further enumerated in Sections 4604.2 through 4604.23. The fire official shall notify the building owner in writing of the distinct hazard and, in addition shall have the authority to require a life safety evaluation be prepared, consistent with the requirements of Section 104.7.2. The life safety evaluation shall identify any changes to the means of egress that are necessary to provide safe egress to occupants and shall be subject to review and approval by the fire and building code officials. The building shall be modified to comply with the recommendations set forth in the approved evaluation.

Greetings,

It was adopted here a month or so ago. Since I am the only bldg/fire inspector, no body even knows any of this stuff here. The problem with retroactive enforcement is obvious. Reding the section though it appears to be mandatory. I'm not going to enforce it without the powers that be giving their blessing which is unlikely. Citizen riots are not something I want to start!

BS